Corrupt digital files

PixMix

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey everyone. New here. :D

I have a bit of an odd question, and it's not a joke.

I am interested in learning on how to corrupt jpg files. I'm not trying to destroy evidence :lol:, but I'm an artist (painter) researching material for a new series of paintings.

Any tips are more than welcome.

Can u elaborate on what you want to do in terms of corrupting?
Do you want to corrupt an image? - that would be easy just open it - take the pain brush and so some weird $H*T to it
OR
Do you want to corrupt an actual file (regardless jpg or not)? Now, I'm not that big in computers but I'd probably open the file with a notepad and erase few lines of data.

IgsEMT,

Thanks for responding and sorry I wasn't clear enough. I'd be interested in spontaneously corrupt image files, like this one:

IMG_2279.jpg

I can use photoshop, and I can probably recreate the same or similar effect, but I'd prefer going with "accidents" as opposed to deliberate manipulation.

Buy a Windows computer and write and erase and write and erase and write and erase a big directory full of files,over and over. Rip a bunch of Audio CD's to .AIFF files with the main drive almost totally maxed out on space. Turn off the virus protection and surf the web and visit some really 'sketchy' web sites for two or three days. The almost totally full harddrive will get really 'fragged badly, and before you know it, it will be ruining all the jpeg files you try and view....the files will be written all over the drive's platters in little bits here and there, and the system will have a heck of a time trying to parse the images...so, just use the computer like you'd normally use it, and see if that won't do the trick!:lmao::lmao:

(The above is intended as humor. No Windows computers were harmed in the writing of this post. Your results may vary.)

Buy a Windows computer and write and erase and write and erase and write and erase a big directory full of files,over and over. Rip a bunch of Audio CD's to .AIFF files with the main drive almost totally maxed out on space. Turn off the virus protection and surf the web and visit some really 'sketchy' web sites for two or three days. The almost totally full harddrive will get really 'fragged badly, and before you know it, it will be ruining all the jpeg files you try and view....the files will be written all over the drive's platters in little bits here and there, and the system will have a heck of a time trying to parse the images...so, just use the computer like you'd normally use it, and see if that won't do the trick!:lmao::lmao:

(The above is intended as humor. No Windows computers were harmed in the writing of this post. Your results may vary.)

:lol::lol::lol::lmao:

Open an image in a hex editor and start playing with the values.

Grabz, thanks for your reply! Hex Editor is a Windows program, do you know of any equivalent programs for Mac?

before you attempt to corrupt files you might want to read about the file structure, That way you can make changes but the file will still open in a viewer.

Open an image in a hex editor and start playing with the values.

Grabz, thanks for your reply! Hex Editor is a Windows program, do you know of any equivalent programs for Mac?

Google "0xED mac" you'll find one that I use at work.

@ The_Traveler,

That would be the way to go. I'll look for online sources.

@ usayit,

I just downloaded 0xED, and it works great. I already tried it, and it's getting there. I wanted to post here some "preliminary" results, but unfortunately Photobucket is not accepting the file after my alterations. As Traveler suggested, I need to do some homework, before I'm able to achieve dramatic distortions, like the image above.

You guys are great. Thanks a million. :D

If you have any other suggestions, throw'em this way.

hello pix mix, i am a painter who was looking up the exact same question when i came across this thread. i manipulated a file with oxed, but cant seem to open it now. how were you able to open them after changing them, what has been the best way you discovered to corrupt? some of my favorites have been photographing tv scramble, using film based ways of altering images and also just bad video streaming on the internet.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back