corrupted files??

nick vonohlen

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I recently took a large number number of pics and was viewing them as I was taking them. When I tried to load them in my computer it says that the files may be corrupted and are unretrievable.it may be from a faulty battery that I changed in the middle of the session.Is there a way to retrieve them? Nick

I've had that happen. I used Data Recovery to retrieve from a number of SD cards and both internal and external hard drives. It's not cheap, but I found it to be worth it. On the SD card, I think it also happened when I changed the card; now I turn the camera off before changing cards (or batteries). For a comparison of different software programs, see The Best Data Recovery Software of 2016 | Top Ten Reviews.

Cn you view the images in the camera? If so, try tethering the camera directly to the computer and pull them off, that way.

I'm willing to bet that as you chimped (reviewed) images in the camera you deleted some of them.

The content of a digital file influences the image file size.
Put another way, each image file is a different size, in mega bites, not pixels which is image resolution.

When you delete a photo using the camera the image file data is actually still there in memory.
What happens when 'delete' an image file is the memory card FAT (File Allocation Table) is updated indicating the memory locations where the 'deleted' photo data is is again available.
Unfortunately, the size of the next image file over written to that range of memory locations likely does not match the same size as the image file that was deleted .

The result is the new image file gets corrupted because it's size does not match the size of memory space allocated by the FAT for the deleted image.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back