Cost Structures

mikernak

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
How do i evaluate a cost per shot?

Take into consideration we do not want to use totals of expenses... in this figure.

We want it to be purely a figure of cost of time.

Any suggestions of where i should go.

I shoot for a large catalog... and expenses go into one budget, salaries go into another, etc.

thanks,

Mikernak

Erm... you mean cost per shutter actuation?

A camera costs $500, and a shutter has to be replaced every 50,000 shots at a cost of $200. The lens is $300, so the total of $1000 for the first 50,000 shots, or $0.02 per shot.

Like that?

This is how we figure the cost per image where I work:
Cost of equipment divided by the life of the equipment, we change camera bodies every 2 years or 730 days. a lens has a life expectancy of 5 years or 1725 days, a flash has a life expectancy of 5 years or 1725 days, batteries have a life expectancy of 2 years or 730 days, the cases have a 5 year or 1725 day life, studio lights are changed every 5 years or 1275 days, camera cards every 3 years or 1095 days and the cost of straps, caps and tape, etc ($500 per year per photographer) or 365 days.
We divide the items individually then (only the ones figured at more than a year) divide those items by the expected life of the item add that and divide by 365.
Confusing but pretty darn close.

This is how we figure the cost per image where I work:
Cost of equipment divided by the life of the equipment, we change camera bodies every 2 years or 730 days. a lens has a life expectancy of 5 years or 1725 days, a flash has a life expectancy of 5 years or 1725 days, batteries have a life expectancy of 2 years or 730 days, the cases have a 5 year or 1725 day life, studio lights are changed every 5 years or 1275 days, camera cards every 3 years or 1095 days and the cost of straps, caps and tape, etc ($500 per year per photographer) or 365 days.
We divide the items individually then (only the ones figured at more than a year) divide those items by the expected life of the item add that and divide by 365.
Confusing but pretty darn close.

Do you multiply shots taken by amount to get weighted cost per image?

Most reactions

Back