Could do with some advice!!!!!

Kirst

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a Pentax Optio S30. Yes, I know some of you would say this is an old camera but i like just want to know how to use it to its full potential. I really don't think I am and I new and bigger camera just not going to happen any time soon.

I have added links to other threads that i have uploaded pics.

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79855

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79854

Please don't be to harsh, I am very very new photography and really want to improvement. Please view because i am finding no one comment which means I am even really bad or people just don't care.

well i dont know anything about the camera you use... and maybe thats the problem.

no one comments because they dont know were the limit of the camera and your photographic skill meet... if you know what i mean.

on the pictures of your kitten, you can see the effects of the flash.... making the image un-natural

the pink flower looks like bounce back from the flash too... maybe your getting to close to your subjects??

but then in the picture of the cricket/grasshopper monster!!! your not close enough heheh cant say i blame you either LOL

the last two pictures look great :)

thats the benefit of a better camera maybe... you get better images from a longer distance.

to compensate, take close ups without the flash during the day, making the most of the natural light :)

Maybe this is a sign i need a better camera. What would be a good inexpensive choice. I do like pentax though but any brand would do. Need to look at this as a beginner. My little camera is just that . Little and compact and discontinued all over the world i am sure . I got it almost three years ago.

3 years isnt really old for a camera :) some people on here have cameras 20 years plus!!

The camera doesnt take the picture you do.... some people on this forum can take brilliant pictures with a 2MP compact, a top of the range SLR camera in the wrong hands is a waste.

There is nothing too wrong with the pictures your have taken... the main thing with any hobby is if you enjoy it or not.

Spending thousands on a camera.. if your going to use it alot, is fine... but if your not using it, its just stupid.

So if your new to the hobby, continue with the camera you have. if your still enjoying photography later in the year, and maybe feel restricted by the camera... upgrade
plus while your using this you can save up, for a nice one :)

To be honest, i feel your the type of person who is going to like to shoot wildlife and nature... not people much. This usually means lenses, macro and telephoto/zoom.

i dont know if your in the UK or US but you can get a good camera for $500 ish

I have a canon Powershot A10. What are thoughts are that one?

Well actually i am in South Africa. Thanks for the advice. Yeah, im not to interested in taking photos of people. I'll keeping taking and see where it takes me.

1.3 mp and 3x optical zoom (2x digital)

i have to say with digital cameras, its best to try and keep above 4mp at least, most mobile phones have more MP than the A10 :(

why not take a picture of the same subject with both your cameras, and see which image you like most.

Just what i was thinking. My current mobile phone is right in between both. Im starting to think i need more practice. Maybe I need to concentrate on one theme like nature.

im not sure what your budget is, but something like the
Fujifilm Finepix S6500fd Zoom
AFUJICM105114255.jpg

is a good cheapish camera, if you cant afford a SLR just yet that retails for £149 here

If your looking at a point and shoot and not interested in a lot of whistles and bells, the Canon A550 has good reviews.

I didn't really want to start a new thread for this because the question i want to ask is part of this thread in a way.

What books would you recommend for a beginner like me? A quick response would be great because i would like to one or two very very soon.

Where is best to have my photos saved on the net beside on your PC? I am currently with another site. Which I am sure you all know by my links. What about flickr?

Most reactions

Back