Could do with some help..

nitefly

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.rawmusicians.com
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I dunno. I have a manfrotto that was midpriced, and it has a quick release that ROCKS. I just leave the plate attached to my camera all the time, and then when I need my tripod, it's a snap to attach. It's really sturdy and I love it.

That's a lot more whistles and bells than the gear I'm using.

I recommend you look for the simplest, heaviest, cheapest tripod you can find. The 'heavy' part is important. Mass soaks up vibration. A stop at your nearby photo store may help.

Generally you get what you pay for, and £16 doesn't buy you much. On the other hand, if that's all you can afford then it isn't a lot of money to part with, so at least you've got something to use for now, and you can save for a better one. I made do with a really cheap tripod for a long time, and it was better than nothing.

I looked at Manfrottos and the other premium brands, but in the end I bought one of these:

http://www.retrophotographic.com/adoxtri.htm

I got the 150cm 'Work' model, reduced in price to £39 from over £70 because the spirit level has a fault, but really sturdy all aluminium construction - the only plastic I can find on it is the feet covers and the screw heads on the legs - 2.4kg and with a great ball head and a choice of two leg angles so you can get it down as low as 44cm. Not a Manfrotto, but a good deal.

Thomsk

Consider the weight of your camera and lens. If you have a small camera the tripod listed may work. The tripod may not handle a larger DSLR. Also consider the locations and how you might be using it. You will need something stronger if you are shooting night shots that require 30 second exposures or shooting in a rocky field. The tripod may come in handy when shooting sunsets in the backyard or the like.

Most reactions

Back