Could I Build a Darkroom in a Storage Shed?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by mvocouch, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Designer

Designer Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Darkroom supplies don't actually take up much space. When I had a darkroom, I used a small walk-in closet. Plenty of space for my stuff and some misc. storage as well.

A photographer will, however need LOTS of storage space for studio equipment, particularly if he can't simply leave it at the studio. Maybe he rents space in a "hot" studio, and must remove his gear when his time is up. I could easily envision a storage locker being used for studio gear. And not a small one, either. Think about all the stuff that takes up quite bit of space, and he can't just stack it into a corner of the studio because the other photographers are careless slobs who will wreck his stuff or steal it. OMG, backdrops, light stands, lights, reflectors, posing props, camera stand, computer stand, more lights and more stands, electrical cords, fans, etc.

Of course, he has to own a large enough vehicle with which to haul it all back to the studio.

• Like Like x 1
  2. vintagesnaps

vintagesnaps Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Storing studio equipment seems more plausible. This seems impractical as a darkroom and not really believable that someone would rent a unit to use as a darkroom. Depending on the climate it could get awfully hot or cold in there. And eventually other people who have units seeing this person in and out are probably going to start wondering if somebody's living in there or what!

Does the character have to be a photographer? Maybe the photographer needs another hobby or reason to rent a storage unit.

3. benhasajeep

benhasajeep No longer a newbie, moving up!

If it's a drive up storage unit / shed. Can use an inverter connected to a car.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Gary A.

Gary A. Been spending a lot of time on here!

Top Poster Of Month

Then it become a matter of how many prints to a gallon.

5. mvocouch

mvocouch TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks for all the replies, I never imagined so many people would put so much thought into this and I really appreciate it!

Regarding some of the questions/concerns the photographer is a hobbyist that likes to do scenery photos and candid shots of people around town, I don't imagine him as someone that would have studio equipment. This character first got into developing photos because he didn't want people at a lab seeing the pictures he was taking because they were kind of creepy/stalkery and he lives in a smallish town. The girl he was stalking was dating his brother but then moved away for a couple years and he got more interested in photography in general. But when the girl moves back in town he offers to let her move in to his spare bedroom that he uses as his dark room. She doesn't know he is obsessed with her, she just thinks of him as her ex's innocent little brother and she agrees to move in with him.

So, even though he doesn't need much space he gets a storage unit because he doesn't want her to see all the pictures he has of her from years and years ago. While his dark room supplies are in the unit, that's not really why he got it, he got it so she didn't find his secret stash of creepy pictures.

Uh, sorry if this story kind of paints photographers in a negative light. :apthy:

6. benhasajeep

Yea, with a drive up storage bin (more privacy). Definately can. Show's like NCIS has even had scenes where the baddy had so much going on inside a storage locker that he would have needed a 200amp electrical service. So, I think for a story a remote darkroom is quite feasable. As fluids. He can bring in water with him. And say there is a floor drain, or a drain by the door that he just dumps his used fluids in. Or he could pack it out as well.

7. Dave442

Dave442 No longer a newbie, moving up!

As photographers we are all for lighting up The Negative.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Gary A.

Top Poster Of Month

I think the story line illuminates photographers quite well. :cool-48:

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Gary A.

Top Poster Of Month

Make sure one wall is covered with photos and red circles and string lines and neat psycho stuff like that ... which creeps you out ... (and duct tape, a new shovel, plastic ties and rope). When he writes stuff on the photo wall he uses his left hand and for all else he writes with his right hand.

10. benhasajeep

From first hand experience?? :aiwebs_016:

:allteeth:

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. vintagesnaps

vintagesnaps Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Gary has quite an imagination. I hope.

I'm not sure what era this is set in. A storage unit sounds more current; a darkroom sounds like an earlier era. I would think a stalkerish type would just shoot digitally and store on a computer or external hard drive, probably do what's easy. If this was set some time in the past, I'm not sure when storage units were commonplace to fit into the darkroom storyline.

I'd think people with adjoining units might start wondering why he keeps popping in and out of there, probably think he's living in it or he's got stolen goodies in there. Of course if it's a backyard shed the stalkery guy could keep all kinds of handy dandy stuff in there. Then maybe the neighbors would wonder...

Kind of like the Seinfeld episode where crazy Joe Davola comes out of his darkroom/closet and there are pictures of Elaine all over the living room wall and he thinks he's the Pagliacci clown. We all know how scary they are.

12. Gary A.

Top Poster Of Month

Kept me out of the draft ...