Could Nikon be on its way out?

I think they are. I'm toying with the idea of adding a Pentax K3 to my collection since Nikon won't make a pro crop camera that fits my needs. Once the world sees my Pentax images they will all sell their Nikon gear, lol. But really, I am seriously considering it.. So if anyone is looking for a D7000 or lenses, give me a shout :)
Just out of curiosity, what does Pentax offers you that the Nikon doesn't ?

Pentax allows use of M42 lenses without an optical element in the adapter & IMO the ergonomics of Pentax are about as far above Nikon as Nikon are above Canon! Otherwise the latest Pentax DSLRs are a fairly close match to Nikon's models, though I suspect Nikon still have the edge in autofocus.

I'm thinking I will keep my D800, Tamron 150-600 and 70-200 VC. The pentax K3 is what a D400 should have been. 8FPS, 24 shot buffer, full metal jacket and less shutter lag. It also has IBIS and focus peaking. I'm still doing research. The current price of $799 with matching BG is also pretty tempting. Lens support is the biggest issue and I would probably have to pick up Sigma 150-500. But I think it would be a pretty sweet BIF set up... AF is a bit of a question though, 27 points, but 25 are cross type and it seems to have a customizable AF grouping system.

Do it and let us peasants know how it works out. :p

Sounds like a hell of a lot of camera for $799

PENTAX - K-3
The New Standard of Performance
Benchmarked as the most advanced enthusiast DSLR available, featuring unparalleled technology and specifications, the PENTAX K-3 will set your photography free with the new standard of imaging performance and unsurpassed user-flexibility. The K-3 touts 24 effective mega-pixels in an APS-C sensor, continuous shooting at an incredible 8.3 frames per second, and champions the world’s first selectable anti-aliasing filter, giving the user the ability to easily toggle anti-aliasing functionality on or off, for supreme resolution and zero limitation. Power your pictures using the new top-tier SAFOX11 autofocus module, and go beyond wireless functionality with the new FLU card SDHC technology for complete remote camera control, and image transfer. Complete, and capable for every serious photographer, also enjoy professional H.264 video capture, dual memory card slots, and the distinguished PENTAX weather sealing in a stunning magnesium alloy body. Harness the summit of the K-mount with the PENTAX K-3.

I'm thinking I will keep my D800, Tamron 150-600 and 70-200 VC. The pentax K3 is what a D400 should have been. 8FPS, 24 shot buffer, full metal jacket and less shutter lag. It also has IBIS and focus peaking. I'm still doing research. The current price of $799 with matching BG is also pretty tempting. Lens support is the biggest issue and I would probably have to pick up Sigma 150-500. But I think it would be a pretty sweet BIF set up... AF is a bit of a question though, 27 points, but 25 are cross type and it seems to have a customizable AF grouping system.

Interesting - They should have added the K-3. These are the kinds of things that either make beginners confused or some simply angry or frustrated or jilted or whatever makes camera forums and blogs live long and prosper.
Best High - End APS-C Camera 2015 - Canon 7D MK II vs Nikon D7200 vs A77 II vs NX1 vs X-T1 NEW CAMERA

PENTAX - K-3
Benchmarked as the most advanced enthusiast DSLR available, featuring unparalleled technology and specifications, the PENTAX K-3 will set your photography free with the new standard of imaging performance and unsurpassed user-flexibility. The K-3 touts 24 effective mega-pixels in an APS-C sensor, continuous shooting at an incredible 8.3 frames per second, and champions the world’s first selectable anti-aliasing filter, giving the user the ability to easily toggle anti-aliasing functionality on or off, for supreme resolution and zero limitation. Power your pictures using the new top-tier SAFOX11 autofocus module, and go beyond wireless functionality with the new FLU card SDHC technology for complete remote camera control, and image transfer. Complete, and capable for every serious photographer, also enjoy professional H.264 video capture, dual memory card slots, and the distinguished PENTAX weather sealing in a stunning magnesium alloy body. Harness the summit of the K-mount with the PENTAX K-3.
That's just plain sick .. seriously .. it has a "FLU" card :)

I just went to Canon myself ,but will they go out not at all likely.

Do any of you watch Dom Bower on YouTube? He's been complaining about Nikon left and right. It just got me thinking. That is all. Figured I'd discuss it here to see what other people think.
If it's on the net it must be true !!!!!!!!!!! Not.

Last edited:
If it's on the net it must be true !!!!!!!!!!!

Never believe everything you read on the internet.
..........................................................................Thomas Jefferson

Never believe everything you read on the internet.
..........................................................................Thomas Jefferson
DoorsL2.JPG

I think they are. I'm toying with the idea of adding a Pentax K3 to my collection since Nikon won't make a pro crop camera that fits my needs. Once the world sees my Pentax images they will all sell their Nikon gear, lol. But really, I am seriously considering it.. So if anyone is looking for a D7000 or lenses, give me a shout :)

Have you tried the 7DmkII? Its more money then the K3.. but i think it will give you more street cred with the birds then the Pentax :) (.. and.. IMHO the focus will be more accurate/faster then the K3 )

PENTAX - K-3
when i looked at the pentax page the body was 899 the body with grip 1099. wonder how the reviews are on it. cheaper than a 7200

Have you tried the 7DmkII? Its more money then the K3.. but i think it will give you more street cred with the birds then the Pentax :) (.. and.. IMHO the focus will be more accurate/faster then the K3 )
I have thought about the Canon route also. IDK, would give me the speed, but less DR and worse ISO performance, but it would be pretty nice with the 400 F5.6. I'm trying to sell a bunch of stuff right now, I might bide my time and try to grab a 500 F4 AF-S II or maybe a Sigma 500 F4.5. Decisions, decisions...

when i looked at the pentax page the body was 899 the body with grip 1099. wonder how the reviews are on it. cheaper than a 7200
The actual price at B&H and Adorama is $799 with the grip! That's what made me start thinking about it. Compared to D7.1/7.2, Faster, better build quality, same IQ, IBIS and focus peaking. Seems like it compares pretty well... I talked to a few Pentaxians and they seemed to think the AF module holds the camera back, although some of them speculate that it is the actual lenses themselves. There is a 150-450 that is coming out that is getting rave reviews...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back