Could Nikon be on its way out?

How the hell is this thread still going strong. Nikon has been gaining market share, not losing it, in recent years. That was pointed out on like page 2 or 3. How is it still going strong 6 pages or whatever and a week later?

TheLost said:
The fact is simple... Nikon does not have a camera for the action/sports/wildlife segment. For those photographers it offers a lineup of compromises.

Nikon's action/sports camera is currently the D4s. Isn't it? I KNOW it is their preferred sports camera for high-end professionals.

But "wildlife" is a vast, varied field, and a lot of wildlife shooters have moved to the Nikon D800 or D800e, or the new D810 because the camera is affordable, easy to carry, and it has the highest current resolution of any shipping 35mm type dslr. The D800 line models have been the highest-resolution d-slrs for about three years now. A good deal of wildlife is stuff intended for high-resolution stock sales, and is shot using the VERY best lenses Nikon makes, the super-teles.

Action/sports really doesn't necessarily tie in with "wildlife" these days; there are MANY wildlife photo situations where a 16-megapixel image is a LOT less desirable for stock sales than a 36-megapixel, high resolution image.

We are wayyyyyyy past the era when ONE,single camera model could be considered to be "the" action/sports/wildlife camera...

Last edited:
Call me crazy, but i think more people would buy a D400 then a DF.

you're probably right. :p

But how far off from a D400 is the D7200? Just the buffer size at this point?

:biglaugh: :BangHead:
I always love reading these threads.
First Nikon is not going anywhere in the near future.
Second neither is Canon.
Third this reminds me of what went on in many forums a few months ago about Sony going out of business soon because of bad numbers. Also something that is not going to happen anytime soon.
As far as the whole Nikon is crap, or Canon is crap because of such, and such an issue. I am amazed that there are as few problems with them then there are. Just look at how many units are flying out of the plants at any given time. Statistically there should be a whole lot more. Just look at auto makers, their average is way higher on way less units. I just see all of this much to do about nothing, as a problem that is more interbutz related, than actual problem. Far too many have become little keyboard critics, and they are whiny little nitpickers looking for any excuse to hate something.
Now as far as mirroless taking over. Yeah right.
Then there is Pentax. I came from Pentax film when I went to digital. About the only Pentax I would want is the 645D, but until they come down to earth on lenses for it, that will not happen either.

Most reactions

Back