Couple Cube Shots. (C&C Needed!)

Ed Bogie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Myself being an avid speedcuber (aka nerd) I figured I'd shoot a few of my trusty cubes. =]

I'm not all too happy with these, but I figured I'd post 'em up anyway.

C&C is welcome with open arms!

3119108013_37ab3d30c0_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3180/3119108013_37ab3d30c0_b.jpg

3119935454_c451485a64_b.jpg

There ok. I think if you took them on a nice tabel they would look better and photoshop them a little. For me. The table takes away from the picture. Kinda like a nice car with ugly rims.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I'll take a few more on a better surface, wish I had thought of that while shooting!

Anywho, thanks for the tip!

I like the colors of the second one, are they desaturated a little? but the angle kind of throws me off.

for fun, here is my own pic of a cube shaped disentanglement puzzle (which i haven't solved yet!! urgh)

Puzzle1.JPG

What is the cube in #2 called? I want to get that for someone for Xmas...

As for the shots, the background has already been touched upon. How about the lighting? With a small object like that, I'm sure you could move a few lamps around and play with it, finding some dramatic results. Watch out for bright spots though, like the one on the table in #2. I think using shadows and dramatic lighting could add interest while keeping the focus on the cube.

Also what might be cool is taking 5 pictures (or so) from beginning to solved, leave the camera in the same position (on a tripod) and for each consecutive shot, move the cube to the right enough so that you can merge all 5 photos and have the cubes next to each other in one shot. Or, since you probably have more than one, just use 5 actual cubes or something. Just an idea!

That's an interesting looking puzzle Eldrich! Don't think I've ever seen one like that before. Good picture too, btw. It's pretty much everything that I should of done with my pictures, nice background, good lighting, ect... Ah well, learn from your mistakes, right?

-----------------

That's a 5x5 Rubik's cube. (the one in the picture is technically an Eastsheen, but you can't get those unless you order them online) It's also commonly known as a Rubik's Professor Cube.

I actually did try to play around with the lighting with a couple lamps, but I was trying to shoot on my old desk, and if I moved them anymore, they would of fallen off altogether. I'm going to try to get some better pictures soon, these were just a spare of the moment thing, I probably shouldn't of even posted them. =\

Good idea! I'll give that a try. It would probably be better with the same cube and merge it, since, though I do have a lot of other cubes, they're all different colors and what not.

Funny you say that though, because I actually did something kind of similar... A stop motion video for Youtube that involved taking over 600 pictures of my cube as it appears to "Solve itself". [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MwQMjhmZtI]YouTube - Self Solving 3x3 Rubik's Cube[/ame] haha.

Anywho, sorry for getting kinda off-topic. Thanks for the tips and suggestions!

Funny you say that though, because I actually did something kind of similar... A stop motion video for Youtube that involved taking over 600 pictures of my cube as it appears to "Solve itself". YouTube - Self Solving 3x3 Rubik's Cube haha.

THAT was pretty cool! It even looked like you had a timer counting the seconds...

I did my whole level 3 (7th form) panel on rubix cubes this year, my computers out of action, will send you a link when its running again. hmmm as for the photos maby some colour correction may be in order? maby dulling the surface and bringing out the cubes colour? just a few ideas

They're OK. It's bit lacking in the lighting department and I think the depth of field is a little to shallow: I'd like to see the whole cube in focus. Try f/8.

Good work..Try some photoshp work..

This took me 30 seconds. It isn't as good as it can be, but just to give you an idea of how lightning/blurring can affect your image:
cubedit1wk5.jpg

Most reactions

Back