Couple of Nikon Lens questions

Gen.Ben

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Im just getting into DSLR's and was wondering....

there is AF and AF-S... The AF-S lenses are alot more expensive. Why? What are the differences?

I am getting a 18-70mm that comes with a D70 for normal shooting. I want another lens that has greater zoom for sport photos. I've been looking at a couple such as a 18-135mm, 70-300mm. The 18-135 has more zoom than the 70-300 but The 70-300 is also more, why is that?

THe difference between the AF and AF-S lenses is that the AF-S lenses contain an autofocus motor in them. It yields faster focus times, and permits autofocusing on the D40/D40x/D60. The internal motor on the lens is the only difference.

The 70-300 is more, from my understanding, because it zooms to a higher range, and is of higher build quality. If your getting the 18-70, I would say going for the 70-300. Getting an 18-135 and a 18-70 would be redundant.

Large zoom range is not correlated to cost. Just look at those sub $200 Olympus point and shoot cameras with 10x optical zoom.

Quality and zoom range is normally correlated. The 18-200mm is less sharp than the 18-70mm Nikkor lens. This is not always the case though. Cost and aperture are normally correlated too. The 17-55 f/2.8 is $2500 here, the 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 is $400.

This all depends on how hard it is to manufacture the glass needed to get quality pictures at certain specifications (zooming with a wide aperture is hard).

I should also mention that AF-S is a silent wave motor. They use a very different technology to control the lens than the motor in the camera and the focus is 2-3x faster than a good body with a good motor, if that is a selling point to you.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back