Couple of Questions re Nikon D40

marka87uk

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,

I'm at a point where I wish to purchase a DSLR and have been looking at everything I can about the D40 as every review I've seen rates it highly as a beginner DSLR, and now the price has dropped quite a lot! ...not to mention the large fan-base and support available for it!

As someone who takes quite varied pictures from cars to people to landscapes, will I be able to get along well with the bundled 18-55mm lens kit as I've heard that it's a good lens and suitable for many situations? After buying the camera I probably wouldn't be able to buy a more expensive lens for a while!

Also, do current users find the lack of AF on the body as much of a problem as it sounds?

While I'm asking, I've been looking at bags, and I've seen the Lowepro Rezo 160 which is what I'm after really. Is there anything similar which is better/cheaper?

Thanks! :thumbup:

I could not be more happy with my D40. I recently got a Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 and am BLOWN AWAY by the image quality. IMHO the kit lens is trash...

I have the D40x and it's a great camera. I've had nothing but good luck with everything. I got it bundled with the 55-70 and the 70-200 lenses and they've been sufficient thus far. Good luck and let us know what you decide!

I could not be more happy with my D40. I recently got a Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 and am BLOWN AWAY by the image quality. IMHO the kit lens is trash...

The kit lens is NOT trash, but you are entitled to your opinion.
The ONLY thing I can find not great about the kit lens is the fact that the aperture only opens to f3.5.
But it produces sharp images. Also, if it could zoom in more, that'd be great, but for most beginners it's a decent lens.
Oh, and the make isn't the HIGHEST of quality, but neither is the 50mm f1.8 and that is an awesome lens.

To the OP: that lens will give you sharp images provided you have your settings correct on your camera.
I felt limited with it due to the aperture setting (which will only become smaller when you zoom in), but make no mistake, it's not a trash lens.

Thank you :) - I knew the bundled lens obviously isn't going to be the best lens in the world, but from what I've read before and above, it's very adequate for most users, especially beginners so I'm pretty sure I will be happy with it for a while at least!

A lot of people seem to rate a 70-200 highly so perhaps that's the first thing I'll have to save up for although at more than double the price of the camera kit itself it'll have to be worth it!

Yes, according to photozone, the kit lens is quite good in image quality. It even better than some lenses that cost more.

The only real downside I have found with my D40 is the ISO performance ain't that great and the minimum ISO is 200 so my images tend to be a little bit noisier than I'd like but this only really becomes a major issue at high ISO. Beyond that both my lens and body have served me very well. There are few things I feel unable to attempt. And the kit lens is surprisingly versatile. The D40 kit is an excellent jumping off point.

The lack of AF motor was a slight concern of mine before I purchased but there is actually a plethora of compatible lenses out there. Check this thread for a fairly comprehensive list. http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113736

As someone who takes quite varied pictures from cars to people to landscapes, will I be able to get along well with the bundled 18-55mm lens kit as I've heard that it's a good lens and suitable for many situations?
The kit lens is optically good and will give you great results as long as you don't expect too much from it. 18mm is reasonably wide for most situations, including landscapes. 55mm is a very short telephoto for the D40's sensor. It's a great lens as long as you can get close enough to a given subject.

Also, do current users find the lack of AF on the body as much of a problem as it sounds?
I did at first, but I thought about it a bit, and decided that I wouldn't worry about it. If there's an AF/AF-D lens that I like, I'll just buy it and deal with manually focusing until I come to the point where I buy a new body that has a built-in AF motor.

Manually focusing on the D40 isn't too bad either. Even with a totally manual lens, you will get a little confirmation dot on the bottom-left corner of the viewfinder when the focus is correct for a given focus point.

D40 owner here as well....
and i must echo chewbecca...the kit lenses are not trash at all.

if youre looking for an entry-level DSLR, the D40 will be a great investment for you, and the lenses are fine for ENTRY-LEVEL photography...you can always upgrade in the future.
i got both the 18-55 and 70-200 and ive been very pleased with both.

Thanks for your help! Heard what I wanted to hear and I'm very eager to get one now! :)

Nikon kit lenses are excellent lenses. For 100$ it's hard to beat that piece of glass with a big stick.

You honestly might want to look at a d40X over a d40. Though MP is not the be all end all, the "X" is only 100$ more and a reasonable step up in resolution.

Thanks mate - pretty set on the D40 really as I know 6.1mp doesn't sound too much (and my non-camera-wise friends will probably laugh with their larger megapixel point-and-shoots hehe), but I won't be making huge prints so have no need to have the larger sensor really!

In England the current price for the D40 is £220, but the D40X is £350 for the same kit!

I'd rather put the money towards the Nikon 55-200 lens which can conveniently be had for less than £130! I'm sure I'd feel more value with that! :)

In England the current price for the D40 is £220, but the D40X is £350 for the same kit!

I'd rather put the money towards the Nikon 55-200 lens which can conveniently be had for less than £130! I'm sure I'd feel more value with that! :)
Smart move in my opinion. You can always use the D40 for the next year, more or less, and upgrade the body when you understand what features of a camera you like/want/need next.

A D40 is on my list as well. It's just that it is probably going to be quite a while first. I am going to have billions of dollars to pay back for bailing out rich people who are afraid of the recession I've been in for years and years.:taped sh:

Most reactions

Back