Couple Shots From The City

Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey guys, went downtown today to buy a tripod and carried my cam along. These are just a couple shots that i took. As you could see, the sun was realy harsh. About 11:00 in the day. (Bad idea, lol)

1. International Waterfront Center, Port of Spain
Aperture: F/4.5
Shutter Speed: 1/400s
ISO: 100
3757039168_a551b9374c_b.jpg

2. Rasta On The Corner
Aperture: F/5.6
Shutter Speed: 1/80s
ISO: 100
3756236861_336aa76ba0_b.jpg

As always, C&C welcomed.

First one is pretty slick. A touch overexposed and glaring. A circular polarizer would help here, but you'd want to be careful not to lose the reflections in the windows.

Second one is ok... don't love the dead-centeredness of it though. Having him off more to the right would be better I think. Seems a bit dark, too...?

#1 is good but the blown out clouds ruin it

First one is pretty slick. A touch overexposed and glaring. A circular polarizer would help here, but you'd want to be careful not to lose the reflections in the windows.

Second one is ok... don't love the dead-centeredness of it though. Having him off more to the right would be better I think. Seems a bit dark, too...?

Thanks for the comment and tip.

#1 is good but the blown out clouds ruin it

Thanks for the comment.

#1 needs to have its highlights lowered so that there is more detail in the clouds and will also reduce the glare fro that flare on the window. You could probably fix this with a duplicate layer overtop with the multiply property around 50-70% opacity or a quick tune-up with the curves adjustment. Other than that, I really like the composition and the color, really makes you feel like youre looking up!

#2 has enough meaning behind it to cover up any flaws in the developing. I like the composition because the subject is in the first 1/3 of the image which is one of the most prominent places to place someone in a portrait. Though I agree it is too dark, you need to lift your shadows a tad bit, try adding a duplicate layer with Screen property and playing with the opacity or even giving the black and white adjustment a little tuning up. I assume the origional photo is in color and you shot with RAW or something. If you didn't, then don't fret just make sure you shoot in pure RAW because all your changes can be made in photoshop or something. Just make play with the filters and how powerful they are in the Black and white adjustment (a blue filter or green sometimes does wonders on dark skin).

I like them overall, just work on having your histogram where it needs to be (remember the rules of 3rds) and good luck! ;)

#1 needs to have its highlights lowered so that there is more detail in the clouds and will also reduce the glare fro that flare on the window. You could probably fix this with a duplicate layer overtop with the multiply property around 50-70% opacity or a quick tune-up with the curves adjustment. Other than that, I really like the composition and the color, really makes you feel like youre looking up!

#2 has enough meaning behind it to cover up any flaws in the developing. I like the composition because the subject is in the first 1/3 of the image which is one of the most prominent places to place someone in a portrait. Though I agree it is too dark, you need to lift your shadows a tad bit, try adding a duplicate layer with Screen property and playing with the opacity or even giving the black and white adjustment a little tuning up. I assume the origional photo is in color and you shot with RAW or something. If you didn't, then don't fret just make sure you shoot in pure RAW because all your changes can be made in photoshop or something. Just make play with the filters and how powerful they are in the Black and white adjustment (a blue filter or green sometimes does wonders on dark skin).

I like them overall, just work on having your histogram where it needs to be (remember the rules of 3rds) and good luck! ;)

They both were shot in color and in RAW. Thanks very much for putting so much thought into your comment. Thanks as well for the tips. Will try them as soon as i get chance to.

Most reactions

Back