couple snaps of the swallows on my porch

h2point2

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
im really new, i just got a canon xs and it is my first dslr, before i was just point and shoot.!

the babys just hatched so they are in and out all day feeding them

swallows316.jpg

swallows317.jpg

swallows318.jpg

swallows319.jpg

swallows320.jpg

and heres a closeup of my dog :)
buddysface.jpg

I like number 5. Cute little face. Reminds me of my tattoos :)

I really like your photos, the dog is very cute :mrgreen:

C&C and posting pics for first time, should have put that in title

In the first and third shots you missed focus on the swallow.

When taking pictures of animals try to focus on the eyes. The dog picture is cute, but focus point is somewhere between the eyes and the nose. Looks like there is a little camera shake too.

Were these taken with the EF-S 18-55mm IS lens?

The sensor in the Canon XS seems to handle noise pretty well...ISO is 400 or above in all the shots.

Which shooting mode did you use?

yes the ef-s 18-55 is lens, there was a little camera shake.. to many red bulls.
i believe i was in P mode. and after taking these pics i read about the focus on the eyes, im going back over there in a couple days im going to try that method.

i believe i was in P mode.
Okay, so you are making some decisions regarding the exposure settings...good. Do you have a good understanding of exposure? Have you read "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson yet? If not, check this out: Learning about Exposure - The Exposure Triangle

Then try using some of the other Creative Modes like Av (aperture priority), Tv (shutter priority) and eventually M (manual).
and after taking these pics i read about the focus on the eyes, im going back over there in a couple days im going to try that method.
Do you know how to manually select which focus point to use? See page 61 of your owner's manual if you don't.

i believe i was in P mode.
Okay, so you are making some decisions regarding the exposure settings...good. Do you have a good understanding of exposure? Have you read "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson yet? If not, check this out: Learning about Exposure - The Exposure Triangle

Then try using some of the other Creative Modes like Av (aperture priority), Tv (shutter priority) and eventually M (manual).
and after taking these pics i read about the focus on the eyes, im going back over there in a couple days im going to try that method.
Do you know how to manually select which focus point to use? See page 61 of your owner's manual if you don't.

the first thing the guy did when i bought this camera from him was show me how to select the focus point haha. i am going to start reading that book tonight or tomorrow, depends on how much time i have. im really excited about learning how to take "good" photographs.

Most reactions

Back