couples portrait, C&C please

NateWagner

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.loneoakphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well, this couple friend of mine let me take their photos (trying to develop a portfolio etc.). And I tried to shoot it in sort of an engagement session style. I'm not entirely happy with how they came out, however, we didn't have much time (the hubby dragged his feet and we were almost out of daylight before we began) and we didn't really have a good location either (right outside of their apartments).

Anyway, enough of my complaining, let me know what you think. I've messed around a bit with some PP so let me know if it works or not so much.
2595897427_3b39d93f0f.jpg

2595899079_b2d81266dd.jpg

2595898037_69a594db24.jpg

2595900939_9a7cfb26cf.jpg

2595913709_53ece52bea.jpg

2596739060_5228983474.jpg

2595903097_eb76a70a13.jpg

2596738138_869a90fa99.jpg

2596736264_f472dfbe02.jpg

2596735314_f5bd6aa8c0.jpg

I would love to hear C&C

I think number 1 and 10 are by far the best one. In number, it's very sharp and color are vivid and the composition really bring out the best look from your friend. Number 5 is good but I seen that shot before. As for the rest, I don't think they bring out the best pose from your friend and I think cropping a little closer would have help.

wow for #3 and 6 :sexywink:

1 - her eye that is closest to the camera is too out of focus, it's distracting me a little.

2,3 are good, very engagement shotish

4 - this one does not flatter their faces very well, especially hers. If you shoot from a slightly lower angle, it will elongate her face and get rid of the double chin look. A good tip in portraiture, is to have his mouth level with her eyes, rather than a straight line from his eyes to hers and his mouth to hers.

5 - is nice, great lighting on her face.

6 - is my personal favorite, her pose really slenderizes her waist. The guy needs to do something with his hands, maybe stick one in his pocket or something??? turning him on a 45 degree angle to the camera would be more pleasing.

7 - watch how the eyes and mouths line up again

8, 9, 10 are very nice as well! Some fun poses!

Great job!

Thank you all for the feedback I really appreciate it. (and if anybody else is looking at these and hasn't commented yet, please do)

Schumionbike: yeah, 5, is rather standard, but I kinda like it even though it is standard. Ahh well, I think 10 is probably my favorite out of the whole bunch as well.

cubase: thanks :) I'm glad you liked those. Personally I'm a little shaky on number 3. I kind of like it, but then again it's not quite my favorite. If you can tell me what you like about it that would be great :).

twocolor: I definitely agree with you on 1, It was quite frustrating because the other 3 eyes in the photo are all pretty sharp, just not that one. I wish I had chosen a slightly more closed aperture.

good idea on number four, somehow I didn't notice the double chin look until I got home and started editing them. I edited out the double chin a bit on a couple of the others and I think I'll try to do that on number 4 as well.

I have actually heard that thing about his mouth with her eyes, but some how I had forgotten it. Thanks for reminding me. I struggle a bit with it, cause I like 7, mostly because it's backwards (in most of the portraits I see the guy is behind the girl). I thought it was fun to do it the other way, but, doing it the other way makes it harder to get the faces to line up right. I dunno, do you think it's ok in that case?

6, I was having difficulty posing the guy, he was kinda ready for the pictures to be done, typical guy I suppose, anyway, that is a good idea though, I knew the basic shot I wanted (her in the foreground and him out of focus behind her etc.) I just didn't actually pose him much.

I have actually heard that thing about his mouth with her eyes, but some how I had forgotten it. Thanks for reminding me. I struggle a bit with it, cause I like 7, mostly because it's backwards (in most of the portraits I see the guy is behind the girl). I thought it was fun to do it the other way, but, doing it the other way makes it harder to get the faces to line up right. I dunno, do you think it's ok in that case?

The one thing I tell clients, is that if the pose is uncomfortable, it will be beautiful!! Most of the time when you pose a person, it's not a normal flow for the body. What I would have done in this case is have her stand on tip-toes or pull her self up just a hair, and also, have her lean forward so that her head is closer to the camera by only a few more inches so that their heads are closer to being on the same plane. This reduces the risk of his head shadowing hers in anyway, and it gives you an opportunity to get the alignment of their mouths and noses the way you want it to be.

The wide angle lens in #1 accentuates the girl's nose. Otherwise, that would have been my favorite. Maybe if the guy was sitting closer to the camera.

I also like #6.

I think you did very nicely for your obstacles. He wouldn't take the glasses off huh? My biggest pet peeve is when I can't get clients to believe the photos will look better without glasses!

twocolor: Thanks for the tips, I really appreciate it, I really hadn't thought about the eyes and mouth which would have been quite helpful, in addition I think I need to work on getting them both into more of the same plane of focus. This would have helped for example in 7, and 1 like you were talking about.

Tennessee Landscape: (hey, where in Tennessee are you?) anyway, thanks for the feedback, I kind of like that processing (6), although she thinks it looks like its from a horror movie or something. I ended up redoing the PP on that shot for her back to something more normal but, I like it like this better.

Early: yeah, I can see how it does accentuate her nose. Maybe if she was looking more at me or something that would help. And as you said, if the guy had been closer I think that would have helped in other areas as well.

Lacey Anne: Well, he wasn't willing to take off his glasses, though to be honest I didn't try very hard. I always have difficulty deciding if I should have them take them off, cause he is always wearing his glasses. I don't know, is it changing him too much?

ok, well, I did a little bit of work on #4 and I'm wondering if it's an improvement.
2597639703_1e512e4e07.jpg

(oops it appears I accidentally deleted the original one from flickr)

Looks like my opinion differs from everyone else's.. I like them all except #6. #6 doesn't feel like a couple's portrait to me. Emotionally/mood-wise, it's.. strange. It's kinda like, here's this girl by a lamp post..who's this guy in the distance? Is he stalking her? Why does he look so serious? Visually it's a neat shot, but mood-wise, I don't think it works as a couple's portrait.

#3, #7, and #10 are my faves. Good stuff!

The only comment I have to add is that a number of them seem to have excessively bright highlights. I do like some of the poses and styles you've used.

i like the 8th one it makes me laugh

Most reactions

New Topics

Back