cousin wants me to shoot wedding

Unless they are ok with the fact that they might not get professional quality photos, I have another recommendation. Why not suggest to the bride that they pick up 20 or so (or an appropriate number for the number of guests) disposable cameras. Put one on each table at the reception, and give a a few out at the actual wedding ceremony. This way, there is no expectation of super high quality photos, and they have the added sentimental value of being taken by friends and family.

You could still shoot at the wedding, but let her know that her main photos should come from those other cameras. I've heard of people doing this and it seems like a really neat idea. Even though we hired photographer for our wedding, I really wish I had thought to do this anyway. What a nice way to have memories captured.

I was in the same boat recently. I would suggest the following ( other than the obvious things like looking up info and techniques and educating yourself a little )

1) shoot many small memory cards incase one takes a dump on you. I just shot my first wedding recently and had a 16GB card error on me. Luckily I recovered most files with software. Always format the card when you put it in the camera.

2) get a fast lens ( I would recommend a 16-50mm or so f/2.8 )

3) if possible, borrow or rent a second SLR body and keep a long zoom ( like a 70-300, or 50-200 ). This will allow you to switch to a second camera quickly and get in tight without having to change lenses.

4) Get a decent TTL flash. I would recommend the Sunpak 42x if on a budget because it has a pretty decent recycle time and guide number for its price.

Please do a search of the forum for help. This question (or ones like it) have been asked a lot and so there is tons of information already available to help you.
What do you suggest he search for? "Free wedding?" "too poor?" "cousin?" Just asking. Nothing in his post suggests an appropriate filter.

Here is five of 400 hits for "free wedding" Just answering.

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...-gallery/195960-free-wedding-photography.html

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/professional-gallery/20069-hot-tips-wedding-photography.html

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/general-shop-talk/198133-advice-needed-noob-wedding-photog.html

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...ry/186973-shooting-my-first-wedding-help.html

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...187852-taking-wedding-photos-tips-please.html
Too many hits can be as bad as too few. Of these five I don't think any really address his issue. The Library of Congress has programmed its search engine to refuse any request for a search containing the word "rat" because it generates too many hits.
Try searching for my "dissenting opinion" on search engines. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

is it a Church Wedding ? where I am, Church Weddings usually have a rehearsal, maybe you could shoot some photos there (unless there is some superstition about that) or maybe just shoot them together at some other setting before the wedding to get some confidence and perhaps give them some idea of what to expect,

Too many hits can be as bad as too few. Of these five I don't think any really address his issue. The Library of Congress has programmed its search engine to refuse any request for a search containing the word "rat" because it generates too many hits.
Try searching for my "dissenting opinion" on search engines. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Reading for Learning

Why do people feel the need to act like children?

Does anyone do research the old fashioned way anymore? - Yahoo! Answers

lol.gif
index

Last edited:
Run away very fast.

Ha ha nice.

I just did this for my sisters wedding. She was a bit strapped for cash and asked me to take pictures. It was understood that I made no guarantees. I already had a flash and went out and got a better lens. I'm very happy with the results and I think they are also. They aren't professional pictures but much better then nothing!

Yes equipment is important BUT knowing how to use it is even MORE important and based on yours Q, you have no clue how to do that. THUS I'm sorry for your cousin, but as you said you have NO EXPERIENCE so your cousin shouldn't expect anything EXTRAVAGANT or more then snapshots.

Always format the card when you put it in the camera.

Nooooo! :spank:

Never format cards as you put them in your camera when you're in a situation when you may be under pressure - you could end up formatting a card full of photos! Yeah, format them, but do it the night before.

Shoot their engagement photos, show them your work, let them decide.

If they are not paying you anything, and cannot afford to pay anybody else anything then I see it as they are getting their monies worth good or bad.

p!nK

I haven't read the whole thread but did see someone say run away and I agree!

I don't know how experienced you are at photography, namely portrait or wedding photography but it is a BIG responsibility and if you're not up to the task then it will cause problems.

Years ago I had a friend ask me to take photos at her wedding to get photos that their photographer may not catch. I went as a guest but I was basically up and about taking shots the whole night. The photographer kind of pushed me aside whenever I was getting ready to take a shot, I guess he felt threatened by my large flash and Nikon camera (camera envy maybe). Anyway I did get some nice shots but it wasn't worth the hassle. If I remember correctly the couple had issues with their professional photographer after they saw his shots.

My advice is to don't do it as a primary photographer but as a supplemental one. Unless you are seasoned (and you may be) there is more to taking a good photo then pointing it at people and taking a shot. There should be a lot of thought in the process to make sure their special day is captured. Of course this is just my opinion.

i really appreciate all the feedback! I talked to my cousin and told them my situation and i for sure would do it for free. the actual wedding is about a year away so i have plenty of time to practice. I have never done portraits but i imagine that will be what i'm going to practice for a while. Since its a year away i think i'll be able to get a flash and a lens. Both my girlfriend and I will be taking pictures, she has a sony a100 with a 70-300mm lens so i think i'll just get like a 50mm large aperture lens. I went to a wedding a long time ago where they handed out disposable cameras, and i'll pass that along to them.

i really appreciate all the feedback! I talked to my cousin and told them my situation and i for sure would do it for free. the actual wedding is about a year away so i have plenty of time to practice. I have never done portraits but i imagine that will be what i'm going to practice for a while. Since its a year away i think i'll be able to get a flash and a lens. Both my girlfriend and I will be taking pictures, she has a sony a100 with a 70-300mm lens so i think i'll just get like a 50mm large aperture lens. I went to a wedding a long time ago where they handed out disposable cameras, and i'll pass that along to them.

Use that year to buy some books and learn proper portraiture and other photography basics. You will specifically have to learn how to work well with light and flashes when shooting a wedding, specifically the bride(white dress, gotta get the right metering due to the white dress coupled with something like evaluative metering trying to make the dress grey). You will also have to work on composition, to make a wedding shoot not look like it was taken by any guy with a P&S you gotta have good composition and creativity.

Just some stuff to consider. A year is more than enough to prepare.

For the reception a flash will do but if you are planning on "real" portraits then you need to invest in a flash system and umbrellas. I hate to say it but these are very important to take good portrait photos. Definitely read a book as was said, get the system as soon as you can and get the lighting proportions down correctly - take notes, measurements and all that. My sons used to get sports photos and even they had the 2 umbrella system going on.

Most reactions

Back