Cowboy Studio

i wanted to get some lights quickly as possible so instead of buying from them on ebay i went through their web site ......

they put on paypal they had shipped the lights the day after i ordered .....except ups only has billing info no package .... a week later still the same ups does not have the package

i have emailed multiple times on different days and they have not responded

all i am asking for is to give me a date the lights will actually ship or refund me money

still no response so i am doing it through paypal now to see if that will get a response

i don't know about the products but the customer support is horrendous

I've bought for them. They're ok if you're a beginner and want some gear to play around with. Think of the equipment they sell as being disposable.

You buy an umbrella kit from them for ~$30US, get to experiment with umbrella lighting, the kit breaks anywhere from a week to a couple of months of use, you decide whether or not you liked umbrella lighting enough to buy a better lighting set. Then you go to Adorama/BH and buy the $100-300 kit that will last you a good while.

That's how I like to view it anyway.

i wanted to get some lights quickly as possible so instead of buying from them on ebay i went through their web site ......

they put on paypal they had shipped the lights the day after i ordered .....except ups only has billing info no package .... a week later still the same ups does not have the package

i have emailed multiple times on different days and they have not responded

all i am asking for is to give me a date the lights will actually ship or refund me money

still no response so i am doing it through paypal now to see if that will get a response

i don't know about the products but the customer support is horrendous

Try phoning them, a very frendly lady cleared up my problem in no time :)

Cheers, Don

i had mixed results at first, but pleased with the outcome. i bought the pt-04 triggers from them because i frankly dont want to deal with ebay or items shipping from china. i ordered a single trigger/receiver kit and it promptly arrived 4 days later. however, when i opened the box i found only two triggers. i emailed them and it was promptly answered the following day and they apologized and sent me out another kit. they sent it overnight at their expense, and when i opened the box this time i found a complete kit (trigger and receiver) plus another two triggers.

so in the end i ended up with 2 triggers and 3 receivers. while i was initially suspect i ended up quite pleased, and when i bought my second flash a week ago i had a receiver to go with it. :D

I bought a couple of things from them. They shipped out quickly and I got what I ordered.
I bought a stand w/umbrella and an umbrella hotshoe adapter in a kit. It has held up ok but is not built real sturdy but is definitely worth what I paid for it.
Their stuff is cheap and not intended for a pro. But if you want stuff to learn on and not spend a lot of money they are fine.

I purchased some items from them on Amazon recently. WOW, what a mistake! I plan on posting a review on my blog about them. It will not be positive.

First off the product is cheap, but I expected that. They seem to have a lot of issues getting you your items unbroken or correct. Being that they are cheaply made, they do not seem to survive shipping from China then shipping from CowboyStudio to your door.

What I did not expect was the huge mess to deal with when they ship you the wrong item. Then it gets even better when the replacement item arrives broken. I sent multiple emails to support and never received even one reply. I called and although they were nice, they do not have their act together there. It took them over a week just to get me a label in my email. In EMAIL, not postal mail. And no it did not get caught in SPAM or anything, they just do not seem to have their ducks in a row. After the label mess and getting the item to UPS back to them, you wait. And wait. And wait some more.

Do yourself a favor, buy from another vendor. There are many selling product like this. You can buy cheap product if that is what you want; but buy from a reputable vendor.

good thing I came across this thread, I was looking at the same thing but there is another kit for flash, umbrella and stand, this is from Impact and is listed in BH as temporary out of stock, I was wondering if someone had any experience with this kit.

Impact Digital Flash Umbrella Mount Kit - includes: 2 Impact 32" Umbrellas, Brackets, Light Stands

Impact | Digital Flash Umbrella Mount Kit | DFUMK | B&H Photo

Has anyone ever used this site? If so is it any good?

www.cowboystudio.com

I know this post is old. But here it is May 2011, and I just purchased a studio lighting kit from this guy. (its a one man Chinese shop) It took over two weeks to get the items. No communications from the Cowboy at all!. Once it arrived, there was no invoice inside. the box was all crushed. The products inside were poorly made in chine crap. And the topper? The back drop that he advertised as 13ft x10ft, was marked 12ftx10ft. So I measured it. and it is actually less than 12!. I emailed him 3 times with questions, and asking for a replacement of the correct size. No reply.... so basically, I am stuck with $380 of low quality junk. Bottom line, it does not appear the the cowboy at this studio has gotten any better since 2007. I would stay away from them. Don't be tempted by the good prices. You get what you pay for!

I hate to contribute to an old thread. I have made 2 orders from this company. The equipment is inexpensive and cheap. I had a hic up with the first order which they cleared up very quickly and I was very satisfied with the result. The items were shipped quickly and packed well. I will order from them again. As to it being cheap Chinese crap, well it is at that price. If your a pro spend them money to get quality equipment. If your looking inexpensive items to work with while your learning I recommend them,.

The only thing of theirs that I have ever used are some wireless triggers - which (still) work great, and only cost me $20. The only time they have ever failed to fire was when the batteries were dead, and you can't really blame that on them, lol.

For less than 10% of the cost of 'real' radio triggers, I have been very impressed with them.

I purchased some strobe stands, umbrellas, and mounts to put my flashes on them from Cowboy and only paid $70 for all three stands with mounts and umbrellas. They weren't the highest of quality, but for $70 I think they were worth at least that possibly more. The package got to me (in Alaska) in about 6 business days using super saver free shipping on Amazon. I recently broke one of them I took to a photoshoot at a snow machine race because a snow machine ran into the stand. I mean... That was bound to happen. Either way I'm not that disappointed at all. You just got to be careful.

I think this company should come with a "buyers beware".

I purchased one of the complete studio packages from there. The old saying you get what you pay for is correct. The problems that I had with the package I received were mainly three things:

1. the black background IS see though and while most would bring the levels down in this to do a low key anyways, it is kinda of annoying that the muslin is so thin.
2. the boom arm that came with my package that is pictured holding the sofbox is NO where near sturdy enough to hold the box even extended a little (the boom arm was the main reason i purchased this particular set) but if i extend the boom arm and use the included sand bag everything falls over or the arm bends so much I would be terrified it would fall over on my subject
3. their customer service is not very good, i have emailed several times asking about purchasing anther radio trigger as it is not clear on their website which one comes with the package, and have not been able to get a hold of anyone.

I have 100 watt strobes and while they are not very powerful, for my space they are powerful, i just wish the softboxes were bigger..these are very small.. Looking back if you were to ask me if I would purchase this again, I would say no I would spend my money either on an alienbee and buy slowly. as much as i know that sucks and as impatient as i am that is the decision i would probably make.. take that with a grain of salt, because I am still learning my indoor equipment, while i can get good images it takes me an hour before hand to set up and test ..

one thing i do have to say i like is that i liked how complete the package is with the barn doors, gels. shipping was fast. the carrying cases fit everything. If you are going to purchase something from them just know that it is not pro equipment and it has its limitations.

I tried out the NPT-04 wireless trigger (purchased on Amazon for ~$20). I've only used it a few times, but I really can't complain. For the price, it got the job done and I was able to produce some really awesome smoke shots using off-camera flash.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back