Cowgirls

MSnowy

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Went to my first Rodeo type event today not many here in Massachusetts. Kind of hard to shoot when you have no idea whats going on in the event, but had a great time
rodeo.jpg

rodeo2.jpg

rodeo3.jpg

Last edited:
I wish the photos had more background blur, the back is pretty distracting.

The first shot of the barrel racing cowgirl and her horse is my favorite. It's kind of difficult to throw the backgrounds out of focus on shots taken at this distance, unless you have a large-sensor camera and a super-telephoto lens; on a smaller sensor camera at 75-100 feet with normal,consumer lenses, you've already got a lot of depth of field when shooting across a horse arena....I know where BuS_RiDeR's coming from, but throwing the backdrop well out of focus is beyond the capabilities of most people's equipment in this type of situation.

Rodeos typically do have a lot of kind of distracting stuff in the backgrounds...other cowboys, gate workers, hangers-on, kids who come up close for a look, the occasional
fat dude, middle-aged women in moo-moo tops, hot chicks in tank tops...they all kind of distract, but hey, what can you do???

I really like the first one. The rider and the horses eyes are trained on the next barrel. The horse doesn't have a lot of forward movement in that tight turn so I don't see how you could get or even want any crowd blurr. Just wouldn't look natural.

the third one is a cowgirl? LOL

The first shot of the barrel racing cowgirl and her horse is my favorite. It's kind of difficult to throw the backgrounds out of focus on shots taken at this distance, unless you have a large-sensor camera and a super-telephoto lens; on a smaller sensor camera at 75-100 feet with normal,consumer lenses, you've already got a lot of depth of field when shooting across a horse arena....I know where BuS_RiDeR's coming from, but throwing the backdrop well out of focus is beyond the capabilities of most people's equipment in this type of situation.

Rodeos typically do have a lot of kind of distracting stuff in the backgrounds...other cowboys, gate workers, hangers-on, kids who come up close for a look, the occasional
fat dude, middle-aged women in moo-moo tops, hot chicks in tank tops...they all kind of distract, but hey, what can you do???

Thanks

I tried to adjust the settings but like you said the location i was in, the equipment (d60 AF-S 70-300 f/4.5-5.6G lens) time of day and weather light rain, all factored in.

are you really sure the third photo is a cowgirl? :)

Most reactions

Back