CR2 RAW Files in Elements 7

fotoflair

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello there, I just received the Canon EOS Rebel T1i (500d) and was shooting RAW (CR2), but Elements 7 cannot recognize these files. Is there something I might possibly be missing that I or someone else I've dealt with that doesn't know about? Thank you.

RESEARCH AND INFORMATION
I updated the "Camera Raw" pluggin to 5.3 even though the camera was not listed in the supported cameras (I thought since there was the 450d with same file format that it would work). I can view these files in a viewer called Faststone Image Viewer and that is good, but I want to use Elements 7 since I paid good money for it. (Not to mention it is decent software.)

I did talk to an Adobe guy and he said that they probably didn't have support for it just yet, that they have to wait until the release of a camera to reverse engineer the file in order to provide support for it.

I suppose I could just shoot jpg for now since I am just practicing and learning the camera. (I really don't want to install any SW I won't be using in the long haul.)

I'm trying to remember what happened when I had my XSI. I believe i was running CS2 and I was not able to open any raws and there was no update available. I had to download another program until I got CS3

Same as with the 5D MkII, I heard you had to have CS4 if you want to open its RAWs. They won't make it backwards compatible with all older versions of Photoshop.

I did talk to an Adobe guy and he said that they probably didn't have support for it just yet, that they have to wait until the release of a camera to reverse engineer the file in order to provide support for it.
That sounds about right.
I really don't want to install any SW I won't be using in the long haul.
Just install the Canon software, it's not that bad. Or get something better for your RAW workflow, like Lightroom.
I suppose I could just shoot jpg for now since I am just practicing and learning the camera.
Or you could shoot RAW+JPEG and come back to the RAW files once ACR is updated.

I think they put out new versions of Adobe Camera Raw, two or three times a year.

As I've been trying more or less the same trick for the 5DII RAW files on PSE6 this evening, I may as well chip in. You can install Camera RAW 5.3 into PSE 6 & 7 and this does allow you to open a 5DII CR2 RAW file in the Editor, for some reason though the Organiser doesn't seem to want to recognise them and provide the thumbnails so you can see what you're opening. That isn't too helpful when you are trying to wade through 500 RAW files as I am, but assuming you can find the file you want to work with, you can at least edit them.

Camera RAW 5.3 is the latest version at this time and the 500D is not listed as a supported camera. It may though be worth installing 5.3 and seeing if you can open one of the files inside the Editor by using 'File | Edit' - you never know.

Yes I think I shall do RAW+JPEG. Good idea, thanks. I did more research on Adobe's site, and Camera Raw RC v5.4 is available but no support for PSE7. Not sure if it will be added or not, but I would think that it would.

Thanks for your help folks. :)

Camera RAW 5.3 is the latest version at this time and the 500D is not listed as a supported camera. It may though be worth installing 5.3 and seeing if you can open one of the files inside the Editor by using 'File | Edit' - you never know.

Hi Chris, yes I tried v5.3 but it didn't work. Even deleted the old plug-in but still no go. I thought that perhaps it would work since some of the other Canon cameras use the cr2 format but alas it did not work. But thank you. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back