Craig's list Chimes in on photo market

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by craig, Jun 12, 2008.

1. craig

craig TPF Noob!

Thought this was interesting. Found these ads on Craig's list Creative gigs section Orange Cty CA. Photographers are starting to get tired of the call for low cost photography. I am sure I lost at least 2 bids because of what I charge.

There certainly is a market for it and photographers are free to do what ever they want. Just thought I would throw this out there and once again hear a lively debate.

•Yorba Linda Ad:

Reply to: gigs-715157529@craigslist.org
    Date: 2008-06-10, 1:46PM PDT

I am starting a candle company, and I need good product photos for my website. I don't have a huge budget because I am just starting out. I am looking for someone who is wanting to build their portfolio who will work for less than scale. Alternatively, I am also in real estate so If you're looking to buy a home- I cna represent you and split my commission so you can potentially make much more than scale. Please respond via e-mail

Reply to: gigs-716998742@craigslist.org
    Date: 2008-06-11, 11:37PM PDT

• Yorba Linda Response

Uhhh... we went to school, paid a fortune in equipment, pay taxes, mortgages, gas and other expenses and you want us to shoot for free yet if you list our home you'll "split" your fees? How about you just drop your fees PERIOD!!! We are so sick of you mud suckers thinking that this is so easy and we should do it for free for exposure, fame and portfolio crap. Well Skippy the world doesn't work that way. How would you feel if I started posting on your lame ass Real Estate sites asking for fee waivers to help you out with exposure or help get you in my neigborhood. How long do you think it would be before your house was on the market? Well, how long do you think I can do this before my house is on the market. Yeah it's real easy to negotiate next to nothing when the ball is in your court isn't it? Just remember you tight ass what goes around comes around. Go ahead and flag this now if you want. It's too late everyone knows you're a dumbass now.

•Outraged poster

Reply to: gigs-713513577@craigslist.org
    Date: 2008-06-09, 9:56AM PDT

this is why so many people in the design/photography community are posting negatively on craigslist in response to people looking for workers. the below is an ad for a photographer. it's amazing how people take advantage of others. DO NOT RESPOND TO THIS AD.....

Reply to: gigs-713431427@craigslist.org
    Date: 2008-06-09, 9:06AM PDT

We are looking for someone who can take pictures of houses for us in Orange County.

These are all "Drive-by" pictures and no need to get out of your car.

-The pay is $10 per property
    -You would normally have 24-36 hours lead time in order to get the pictures taken
    -pictures then need to be emailed to us by the deadline given
    -You would be paid once a week (every Monday by check or paypal) for the photos you took that week
    -You would be an independent contractor - 1099
    -the volume is a little random, but should average 10-20/week and should build from to higher volumes
    -We need 4 pictures for each property...exterior only

Ideally I am looking for someone who is very responsible, and can handle as large of a territory as possible. We do not reimburse for gas, so a fuel efficient car is a necessity for this job.

Please email in response to this ad w/ the areas that you can cover

Thanks!

* it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
    * Compensation: $10 per property

PostingID: 713431427

Copyright © 2008 craigslist, inc. terms of use privacy policy feedback forum

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
    • Compensation: no pay

PostingID: 713513577

2. Mike_E

Mike_E No longer a newbie, moving up!

The Upper West Side of Mississippi (you have no i
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    You know, if you cut my lawn you can keep the clippings for mulch. And we ALL know how expensive good mulch is. ;)

3. craig

craig TPF Noob!

Uhm... What are you trying to say?

Love & Bass

4. Senor Hound

Senor Hound TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Someone will reply... And she'll probably get what she wanted for what she's willing to pay. It probably won't be through craigslist, but through a friend of a friend, or something like that.

I think it was kind of harsh to jump on the lady like that, if you're gonna get mad at someone, get upset at the person offering the services, not the person asking for them. If capitalism will prevail (and it always does), she'll either get what she wants for the price or not, simple as that.

5. Alpha

Alpha Troll Extraordinaire

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Right on I say. I pity the "photographer" who's stupid enough to take one of those "jobs" but I think it's obscene that people think they can get something for nothing.

You don't see anyone going "I need a real estate attorney help me re-zone some land. I can only pay 20 an hour but you'll get some great exposure!"

6. Kingoftown

Kingoftown TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I don't think there is anything wrong with asking for something like that. The simple fact is that many people have cameras and are looking for a little extra money. They may not be good photographers, or even consider themselves photographers but they will do it because it takes minimal effort for quick money. I mean you may not do it, but some guy with an HP camera his grandma bought him for easter that doesn't feel like working will take the job, and the poster knows it. If they were looking, or needing, something better they would seek out a pro. They need a pic of a house just to have a visual on a website. They don't expect the picture to sell the house ( though it certainly would help if done right) and aren't going to put a premium on it. Based on the housing market I would exect them to put a little more effort, but they are trying just as hard to make a living selling houses as the guy taking the pictures is at photography.

7. Rhys

Rhys TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    A deal like that is akin to asking people to drop their trousers and bend over.

I got shafted by a freebie. I was going to shoot a bridal shower in exchange for signed releases so that I can put more, different photos up. I turned up and they'd changed their minds or something. I don't really know what they were up to they indicated sufficiently that my presence was not required without even compensating me for gas!

I'm with all the guys that say "pay a decent rate". What that advertiser wants is somebody with a $19.99 compact digital! In fact, my wife sells stuff on ebay and uses a 3mp compact from about 4 years ago. It works, does the biz but isn't a great camera or capable of fantastic image quality. I'd say that candle maker needs to do that! As far as the real estate guy is concerned - he should get himself a phone with a camera built in and do it himself!

8. Mike_E

Mike_E No longer a newbie, moving up!

The Upper West Side of Mississippi (you have no i
    Photos OK to edit
    :) It seems as though everyone is looking for a stupendous deal these days and are saying some of the dumbest things to justify jerking someone else over to get it.

Hard to blame them though, even us ugly guys get lucky once in a while. ;)

9. MarcusM

MarcusM TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I'm pretty torn on this: I see it both ways:

- I myself am in the "portfolio-building" stage. I have a list of friends and family that I plan on doing shots of for free. Now a lot of these friends and family don't have any current plans that I know of to get portraits done of themselves or their family in the near future anyway, but will gladly accept my offer to shoot them for free in order for me to use their shots in my portfolio. So, other professionals are not losing out on anything. Now for someone trying to get their foot in the door, is this wrong? And if so, please offer alternatives.

- I also see how the "lowballers" can hurt the market. Everyone with a digital camera these days thinks they can take pictures for money.

It's a complex issue. I think it was discussed recently in another thread but I'd be interested to hear some more opinions.

10. Rhys

Rhys TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I offer weddings at prices from $300 to $1000 + extras. I offer discounts as well. The couples that can't afford $1,000 will go for a lesser package. Those that can afford $1,000 are not - I repeat - are not going to say "ooh. That guy does it for $3.50". They're going to say "what do we get for our money and they're going to go for the right quality at the right price.

Lowballers are NOT going to hurt the market. I can buy a pen in a shop for 20 cents. Does that make me a threat to journalists on The Washington Post or a threat to JK Rowling (who also writes her novels with a pen)?

11. dadCameraGuy

dadCameraGuy TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    isn't it called bartering? Asking to exchange one service or product for another? If the price/barter isn't enough then offer something different.

I'm guessing that maybe folks don't like getting paid $1 for a photo like I get selling microstock... but it's paid for over $7k in equipment. More info in my planetMitch site.

12. Rhys

Rhys TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    If I do a wedding for $600 like many on this site probably do and I take 600 photos then that's a dollar a photo too.

As far as bartering is concerned, I've seen enough bartering deals go sour and end up in the court room that I want no part of barter. I'd rather sell at a low price and get cash.