Crap photos I tried to salvage

vonnagy

have kiwi, will travel...
Reaction score
Website
www.vonnagy.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
When i took these photos, i found an really interesting, however, the lighting was crap. These were taken at sunrise, so the typical problem of I have with getting the exposure right was was an issue. The sun was too strong and the end result was that the colours washed out and details were lost. In short, crap photos. So i decided to convert them to b & w and experiment with some channel mixer settings to make 'em a bit more palatable:

column1.jpg

column2.jpg

column3.jpg

gate1.jpg

Not the best that i've taken, but i did spend heaps of time trying to salvage the work here. Lol, at least for me, I can't see how folks say that pshop makes it any easier to make crap photos good, i've struggled with these!!! :p

any comments/criticisms/suggestions welcome here!

#3 is the best of the lot for me. I like the high contrast and the mood of the piece. #2 is similar, but the composition does work as well. The last one doesn't grab my interest. On #1 I would crop in and make it a vertical, since I like the framing of the stairs by the columns on the right. The columns on the left seem to be part of a second image, with the thick column splitting the the print down the middle.

column1-mod.jpg

MarkC might have nailed it with what he did with the first shot. It's MUCH more interesting. I appreciate the time and effort spent on these and I don't doubt that "technically" they're better than the color renditions you didn't like, Kiwi. :wink:

It's an interesting place, but none of these are grabbing me like your stuff usually does. Where is it?

Wow, what an interestting location. Just go back and keep trying Vonn.

I like these. Lot's of good texture. The columns imply height, but they get lost in the jagged horizon and the chaotic background textures. Try a different angle and see what it looks like with the columns protruding up past the horizon and into the sky.

I'd be interested in seeing the color versions. I agree with Metimbo, #4 is my favorite.

That one's not nearly as severe a crop as what you did with the other one, MarkC..... I like it, as well. The lighting in this one is really cool.

I wish Mr. Nagy would wake up, or whatever it is he's doing on his side of the globe...I'd like to know where this place is.

Cool location! Crap may be a little dramatic in describing the photos. Personally, I am leaning closer to good. If this is a place that you can go back to the possibilities are endless. Off the top of my head try going at night and painting the subjects with light from your flash (off camera) or a flashlight or car headlights.

In the future please do not describe your photos as crap. As far as I can figure; there are no crappy photos it is just that some are stronger than others :D

markc said:
I think he was saying the the originals were crap because of the lighting. Show's that he's done a good job with them, eh?

As always.. he just likes showing up people like me. :p

oh thanks!

sorry, i just now signing on. I took some more photos of the place this morning, its is a really interesting local. the lighting today was more diffuse, and i am going this afternoon again to take more shots if the weather hold up this way.

markc, thanks for the crops.. i like both of them, in fact i went back this morning and did very similar crops with the pics.

Cool location! Crap may be a little dramatic in describing the photos. Personally, I am leaning closer to good. If this is a place that you can go back to the possibilities are endless. Off the top of my head try going at night and painting the subjects with light from your flash (off camera) or a flashlight or car headlights

I like that idea, with the car headlights.. but the area maybe a bit dodgy at night. I'll see if i can bring a friend. I have to take as many photos of the place as i can, as they are tearing it down soon.

I wish Mr. Nagy would wake up, or whatever it is he's doing on his side of the globe...I'd like to know where this place is.

This is on the way to the infamous 'Ladies Bay' on the way to the 'secret beach'. I'll post how to get the in the new Locations forum eventually.

I like these. Lot's of good texture. The columns imply height, but they get lost in the jagged horizon and the chaotic background textures. Try a different angle and see what it looks like with the columns protruding up past the horizon and into the sky.

good suggestions, the area is fenced off I am not sure if its public or private land. I will definately go back and blow a flash card on this. Every time I walk by i see something new.

Thanks for the comments! The orginally lighting was harsh because of the first rays of sun coming through the area. I had trouble getting the details out.

Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions! Much appreciated! for those wondering the last image i jacked up the green balance to about 175% to give it an infrared feel.

lol, I was just frustrated with these photos because I loved the location and the pictures didn't quite turn out, therefore out of my frustration I called them crap. I'll keep going and going until I get some good stuff ;)

I wish I could take more "crap" pics like those.

Most reactions

Back