Crappy studio Portraits? What?

RyanLilly

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I just have to ask if other people have noticed the same thing. I'm looking at a family portrait on my wall, some proofs from my girlfriends photos, and some portraits of some relatives all taken by different pro studios in different cities. The all share a common trait; There is no rim/back/halo light, whatever you want to call it, to set apart the subject from the background. With darker hair colors you cannot tel where the person stops and the background begins. It looks like floating faces. I remember the one shot I'm in and it was just 2 strobes with umbrellas at about 45º to each side. This just seems stupid that I have mediocre quality at best across the board.

Anyone else notice this? :meh:

Yes. Maybe not the lacking subject/ background separation thing, but the piss poor quality in general. I have noticed the "franchise" type of portrait studios never adjust their lighting either. A "one lighting fits all" kind of thing.

This is where we, as artists, can stand out from the pack. We care about quality because our names and reps are on the finished product. We aren't the employee. We are the talent.

Yes, I notice the exact thing. I have dark hair and so does my neice. They either make us float or put on white backgrounds which washes us out and makes us look gothic....Pure white skin and dark hair. It's so fustrating. I actually notice it alot more than lighting. They don't make sure you have your necklaces straight, kids have zippers up. Little things. I have been scrapbooking and I noticed that with my kids pictures. I am like how could you be behind a camera and honestly not see that....

I am glad someone else noticed that. I think it's because they hire people who like to take photos, but they don't have the artistic ability. They think they can train them in a few weeks like any other job and that doesn't happen.

but what amazes me is you or someone still bought the photo!!

This is why I took up photography. I love getting my kids photos done but the entire process was such a pain. Picking the clothes, trying to amke the appointment, fighting through a bunch of silly poses, the kids getting bored/tired/annoyed. I always came out tired, sweaty and $200 poorer for photos that didn't seem that great. They didn't have quality to fall on and they never showed my kids personalities. I had a friend who was a new photographer and she did amazing with my son. I am still in awe of her tallents. When she moved she referred me to someone who I wasn't very happy with. her photos were technically good, but didn't come close to catching who my children are.

So I bought a camera and been working my butt off. My main goal is to get good enough to really have a wonderful photo history of my children without having to hire people and go through that mess. But of course, I got bit by the bug and its way more then that now :)

This is why I took up photography. I love getting my kids photos done but the entire process was such a pain. Picking the clothes, trying to amke the appointment, fighting through a bunch of silly poses, the kids getting bored/tired/annoyed. I always came out tired, sweaty and $200 poorer for photos that didn't seem that great. They didn't have quality to fall on and they never showed my kids personalities. I had a friend who was a new photographer and she did amazing with my son. I am still in awe of her tallents. When she moved she referred me to someone who I wasn't very happy with. her photos were technically good, but didn't come close to catching who my children are.

So I bought a camera and been working my butt off. My main goal is to get good enough to really have a wonderful photo history of my children without having to hire people and go through that mess. But of course, I got bit by the bug and its way more then that now :)

exactly the same as me then i branched into weddings

What I don't get is that some people who even know this stuff still do it "wrong". I say wrong like that so they don't argue with me. I think it's wrong regardless of what they may say as a comeback.

A friend of mine went with her brother and sister to get some photos done for the mother. Now the sister came out beautifully. Blond hair black background. Would have looked fine even on a beginner. The friend also looked great. Soft front light. slight rim light, and hairlight so his brown hair stood out from the background.

The brother was screwed completely. The rim light spilt too far on his face, it was too bright, there was no hairlight, and all around the picture was bleh! Yet the first 2 looked so professional. Also the lighting setup was changed between each one and it doesn't look like a franchise photography place. I don't get it.

I put it down to the photographer possibly feeling embarrassed that they didn't get it right the first time or something. Eitherway I would not have accepted the 3rd image if it was of me.

but what amazes me is you or someone still bought the photo!!

Well, unless they are really really bad you kinda have to. Especially if you went with little kids. It is just to much of a hassle to go through the whole thing again with someone else.

Unless we go to a Glamour Shots type place the 3 of us in our family have never gotten a good photo. My son is blonde with very fair skin, I have dark brown hair with a horrible complexion, and my husband has medium brown hair with a large head and he is just overall a big man. I haven't found a photographer yet that can combine all three of us into a good photo (except for one impromptu shot at Glamour Shots many years ago).

So we just suck it up and pick the best of what is offered. I think that is how it is with most people. I also think that is the reason that most people just go to Wal-Mart or Sears for their cheap packages. There is less guilt involved when you purchase crappy pictures but only spent $50 instead of $200.

Am I right??

I suppose it is easier to part with 50 instead of 200.

but I would' nt part with any money if I was not happy.

I take my own pics

Im in england and its the same here I here scores of photos at friends and other peoples house and they sometimes look like they are in some strange 'religeous sect' with lighting ect all wrong.

This is why I took up photography. I love getting my kids photos done but the entire process was such a pain. Picking the clothes, trying to amke the appointment, fighting through a bunch of silly poses, the kids getting bored/tired/annoyed. I always came out tired, sweaty and $200 poorer for photos that didn't seem that great.

Funny - Exactly the same thing here! I did my best with the P&S I had for typical photos, but as soon as I wanted to avoid the aggravation and bad photos of the typical 'portrait shop', it made it easy to argue the cost of a digital SLR. With 3 under the age of 3 it's already paid for itself and any of the other additional equipment! On top of that the portraits are a huge improvement from what we had seen.

Most reactions

Back