crazy DOF. how'd they do it?!

jibber

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
i found this picture (not mine) on the internet some where (can't remember) - can somebody tell me how'd they do it? the chain is so close and in focus yet the building is so far away and in focus as well.

Last edited:
if i'm not mistaken i think the aperture is set to f/8 or something close to that opening. We usually get blur if we open our aperture really wide like f/1.4

Download a video called "The Perfect Picture" its on torrent sites. It's amazing. Teaches some really good stuff about how to take good pictures, stuff most people will miss

If you use a DOF calculator, you can figure out the minimal distant and infinite focal distant using which focal length and f-stop to use.

Be mindful that because a photo, book, song, or other artwork that is posted to the Internet usually is a copyrighted work, even if it doesn't explicity state so, and means it is not free to copy and use in any way you see fit. Perhaps you've heard of Napster and the legal troubles they had.

There was a syndicated story just yesterday about a college student that recently lost a song sharing infringement case. The courts decided he owed $630,000.

Most photography forums have a rule somewhere stating they prohibit posting photos you don't own the copyrights to.

Many photo forums, like this one, exist to make the forum owners money from all the advertising you see. They are the ones that risk being sued, which is why they have the rule.

Last edited:
I punched it in on my DOF calculator and here's a quick measurement you can use if you have the same lens.

Nikon FX sensor (35mm)
Focal Length: 20mm
F-Stop: f/16
Subject distance: 60in (5ft)

So with this setting here's your nearest focus point is 21.4in. After that it's infinite.

Be mindful that because a photo, book, song, or other artwork that is posted to the Internet usually is a copyrighted work, even if it doesn't explicity state so, and means it is not free to copy and use in any way you see fit. Perhaps you've heard of Napster and the legal troubles they had.

There was a syndicated story just yesterday about a Ccollege student that recently lost a song sharing infringement case. The courts decided he owed $630,000.

Most photography forums have a rule somewhere stating they prohibit posting photos you don't own the copyrights to.

Many photo forums, like this one, exist to make the forum owners money from all the advertising you see. They are the ones that risk being sued, which is why they have the rule.

thanks for the heads up. i have all the feedback/info i need. i'll take it down.

thanks for the heads up. i have all the feedback/info i need. i'll take it down.

If you have the link to where its posted, you can post the link instead.

Nikon DX Sensor (1.5x crop factor)
10mm
F/16
subject 13" from camera sensor, about 6" from most 10-**mm lenses

Infinite focus after subject focal point.
Mark

Most reactions

Back