Crazy Horse Memorial, South Dakota

Canon Fan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Haven't been here for awhile so I thought I'd share this one from my vacation . . .

The Crazy Horse Memorial in South Dakota is the worlds largest mountain sculpture "in progress". Work on the monument began in the late 40's and is still ongoing. Crews believe that it could take another 20+ years to complete. To get any idea of the shear size of this monument think of this, Mt. Rushmore could fit inside the head of this statue 9 times over with room to spare. Night blasting occurs only twice yearly. Once in rememberance of Crazy Horse's birthday and once to commemorate his death.

Since I had never witnessed one of the night blasts befroe I had no idea what to expect. I talked to a few bystanders in the crowd and they seemed to believe that the blasts would last only about 20 seconds or so (so I set my exposure accordingly). However I was suprised once the blasts began that it would definately last longer than that so I kept firing shot after shot until it was done and then composited what ended up to be 7 sperate 20second exposures. Remarkably I got incredibly lucky because I only had a tripod and no remote release. So for each shot I had to actually manually pres the shutter release on the camera! Close scrutiny of the original RAW files in 100% size reveals no noticeable camera shake though (whew!)

This is a scaled down composite from the RAW file extracted .jpg's. I should have a full size 16x25" print will be available within the next 2-3months when I do the composite for real from the RAW files.

chorse-composite-web.jpg

My wife and I went there in 1976 and they were still working on the roughing out, I can see a great deal of difference in it now from your fantastic photo.. I was never there for any of the night blasting work. Sure would be nice to be there for one tho- Great work and are you planning on selling prints? I would definatly be interested in one..

Thanks everyone! I'm still shocked I didn't blur the crap out of them while pressing the shutter. I will have some for sale when finished. Not sure if I want just this print or a montage sort of thing yet but I will have something, I'll keep ya posted. Also have one or two more from this trip that will make it to the print phase, stay tuned!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back