Crazy Horse Memorial

craig

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
craigblank.com
Located in the (near) Black Hills of South Dakota. Check out http://crazyhorsememorial.org/. Amazing story to say the least. After sorting through 21 of these I think I picked the best. The colour is what I am questioning. The camera white balance was at cloudy+2. When I viewed the files on my machine they were clearly a mile off. I shot RAW format and moved the temp slider to from 5250 to 7300. That is when the trouble began. I can picture myself playing with the temp slider forever, so your thoughts will give some needed input. I printed it for the white Aspens and the sort of neutral grey fence. The rest of the photo fell into place. I am curious as to what everybody's monitor sees.

crazyhorse346qe.jpg

I think a tighter crop or zooming in would have been a more interesting choice. The subject loses itself among the trees and whatnot and I found myself straining to see any sort of detail of the subject. IMHO of course.

Thanks for the input! A tighter shot never occurred to me. I was going for more of an environmental portrait. I have seen a lot of closeups of the work and that is not what I was after. The wide shot seems more realistic. This is about as close as you can get by paying the entrance fee. If you want to pay 200 dollars (or something) I think you can get right up to his face.

I forgot the exif info in the first post. Nikon D1H 1/30 @ ƒ2.8 1600 ISO 35MM ƒocal length.

I think that the framing and crop are OK. I really like it. You have caught the light beautifully.
My only crit is that the colour is a little too purple - try a little less magenta (but only a little). Try and get the sky nearer to neutral grey.

Thanks! Rapid is a cool city too bad it is an 8+ hour drive through the beaches of WY. I am glad that you mentioned the colour Hertz. I am getting a little magenta on this end as well. I will try another post of a different image and further explain my process.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back