Crazy idea!

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by JohnMF, Apr 28, 2007.

1. JohnMF

JohnMF TPF Noob!

I know this might sound a little crazy at first, but...

Does a Photo forum as big as TPF really need a General Gallery?

No doubt it served a purpose back in the early days when the community was small. it would have been a struggle to fill lots of subject specific gallerys, so having a "General" gallery with lots of photos in made more sense than having lots of Gallerys which are half empty. Surely that's not an issue anymore.

At the moment I don't think there is a photograph in the General Gallery that couldn't be posted more appropriately in one of the other already existing forum gallerys anyway.

a lot people would rather dump their photos in General Gallery rather than take two seconds to ask themselves if it would be better placed in another gallery, and that's what causes photos to disapear down the pecking order so fast (which is always a popular complaint with users).

General Gallery seems, to me, to be dead wood these days, a relic from the early days. What is a General Photograph anyway?

It might seem a little drastic, but what do you think, would TPF be better of without a General Gallery? :?:

2. lostprophet

lostprophet No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm all for more galleries.

personally I like to see separate galleries for ...

WILDLIFE
    LANDSCAPE / NATURE
    CITYSCAPES / URBAN
    PEOPLE
    SPORT
    TRANSPORT

but with all the extra galleries that does mean more work, damn those spammers

3. lostprophet

lostprophet No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hey John, I guess everyone thinks we really are crazy

4. JohnMF

JohnMF TPF Noob!

hah, yes. I may just take this as a "No"

Maybe people weren't ready for our "outside the box" forward thinking style?

Just remember, like all great thinkers throughout the ages, it may be many generations before our true genius is appreciated!

It could have been amazing.... we could of had an Otter Section (Readers Otters) and everything :(

5. terri

terri Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Sorry, guys, that this thread appears to have been ignored by the moderator team.

What no one seems to want to tell you is how lengthy and involved a process it is to add a new gallery. Sure, you might think it’s as simple as coming up with a good idea and tossing it out there for a little bit of feedback before proceeding. But alas, there is a much more tedious program going on behind the scenes.

You see, Chase prefers to think of a new Gallery as a steak. (That’s the closest he comes to having a metaphor for "a meaty idea".) So we literally have to go out and purchase a thick Porterhouse and insert a little flag into it, labeled with the proposed gallery idea. The steak is then carefully placed in a special tribunal area and surrounded by a circle of rocks. Torches are lit.

Then, each moderator is expected to give input on the new Gallery idea. However, input can only be given in the form of interpretive dance, complete with body paint, feathers, and extra touches like rattling the seeds inside a dried gourd over the steak. Everyone takes a turn and this process can take weeks, even months. By then, of course, the Porterhouse isn’t looking or smelling very good, and the moderator team is exhausted. It is hoped, however, that a consensus has at last been formed and the steak can be tossed out into cyberspace, where it will tumble about until it eventually lands in another unsuspecting forum, where it is usually identified as "spam" and properly disposed of.

And then, you just might have a new Gallery at TPF.

Hope this helps.

6. Chase

Chase I am now benign! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    This is one of those odd topics that goes round and round. I would tend to agree that a "general" gallery is probably overkill at this point, but coming up with an intuitive set of gallery subjects has proven to be a bigger challenge than I would have expected and it has been something that has been tweaked many times over the life of TPF.

I'm still not entirely happen with the set of galleries we currently have, but they're at least doing the job at the moment. Improvements would be great, but as you can see, there is also a lot of apathy when it comes to this sort of thing as well...

7. JohnMF

JohnMF TPF Noob!

i see what you mean about the trouble you have to go to to set something like this up.

I only mention it because i've found myself avoiding the General Gallery because of the randomness and sheer volume of the photos in there. it becomes a bit of a chore plowing through 'em.

I like that steak analogy too teri. makes me hungry :)

8. Chase

Chase I am now benign! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Now, if you want to buy a good steak for me, I'd be happy to dump the general gallery for you :mrgreen: