creating a portfolio

cameramike

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.mikedifilippo.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am currently a junior in high school. I need to start thinking about my portfolio for college and had a few questions. Whats the best format? Should I go with an online portfolio or a more traditional way and do a hard copy portfolio. How many pictures max should it be (is there even a max?). Should it include works that were heavily post processed to also show that side of my work, or should it be more restricted to just simple edits. i did a quick search but didnt find much.

There is no 'right' way to do it. I don't see why you can't have both an on-line and paper portfolio. You might even have different portfolios, depending on what you are using them for. You wouldn't necessarily need to show people your best landscape shots, if you are hunting for a portrait job...would you?

Some advice that I've been given, is to only use the best of the best...more images is not better if some of them are less than the best you have.

What Big Mike said. Only use the "best of the best" in your portfolio. I see so many people who call themselves pro's, who have horrible images in their port, because they think more is better. What you put in your port should only be your best. The portfolio is the artist or the photographers RESUME. It's suppose to generate interest in you, or get you work.

To figure out what you want in your port, you first have to decide what you port is for. What kind of photography do you do? Why are you creating your port? What will it be used for?

Example: If you're a landscape photographer, and you want to display your work in a galleries, then I'd start with a 9 x 12 artists portfolio (you can buy them for about $10 at most art stores). Then I'd select your favorite landscapes, and get them printed in 12 x 18 size. Slice them down the middle into 9 x 12 halves, and put them in the portfolio side by side, so that when someone opens it up, it's large and impressive. If you have a portrait style landscape for some reason (like a mountain), get it printed 8 x 12 and it fits in there without any issues too. Then you take your portfolio with you to galleries where you'd like your work displayed, and show them your work in person.

In that example, it wouldn't do much good to have an online portfolio, so you focus on the printed one.

Hope that info helps.

Oh dear, remember the days when i was crapping myself about a college portfolio.

Anyway;

Hardcopy, colleges wont accept an online portfolio, they will want to most likely interview you and for you to bring your portfolio along at the same time.

Pictures, there are no maxs, but put in your best work, also i would suggest a few examples of your post processing work flow. Finally, some comments definately on your pieces, and depending on the type of work, also look at doing idea sketches, ie if its a set piece of abstract/conceptual photography, or possibly a panorama, keep in mind that they are going to want you to explain it, and if you have the shots set out with your work flow, concept sketches and some self criticisms of your own work they are going to like it all the better.

Wracking my brain trying to think of the last few points.

Oh yeah, since its for college, try and get a variation of mediums in there, prove that you can use your camera in more than one area, main ones i would aim for are landscape, sports and portrait (which is nicely backed up by fashion or glamour photography). You may want to look at if you can get some concert photos (low light really) in there, just to have it.

Also, one last point, when noting your photos, i would suggestion mentioning, how you took the shot, exposure, setup, etc etc.

I need a portfolio for changing highschools (if im gonna) i wanted to know the same question.

Most reactions

Back