Creating a portfolio.

Galaxy_Stranger

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm wanting to put together a portfolio of everything I want to shoot - Weddings, kids, cars, etc. I'd like to get some info on what is the standard as far as format and presentation and what I should include/exclude.

Well a guide would be, get only your best shots, of everything you take separated by categories of your choice. now make copies as big as you can carry, but most would say 8x10s. that would be it I guess

I would say, depends on your case or how you will carry them.

I have a case that I can fit no larger than 8.5x11 and it had clear pages.

My other case can do 16x20 and all of the print in that one at 11x14 matted. No pages.

I think nothing smaller than 5x7!! 4x6 is too small.

Like above, mostly 8x10s. I think those are best. There isn’t a standard unless whomever you're showing (employer) wants certain sizes. There isn’t a point for an 11x14 if the print looks good as an 8x10.

Plus if a print is too big you cant see the whole thing at once.

I was told that glossy makes a sharper image. I agree to it.

I really like white borders but I don't know if having them is a good thing unless you print it in your own darkroom because you don't have much of a choice.

As for what to submit, I suppose it depends if it's a job you're applying for. I so, then I would treat it like a resume, just add what is appropriate. If not, show your best work (variety of lightning, subject, pose, camera angles etc) and whatever fits in your case. if you don't have a case, then get some sort of presentation book with clear pages that fits yours images.

Thanks all I can think of. Have you tried searching on google? You might find examples.

P.s. I remember being told that having a mixture of sizes is good. Why? I don't know. personally I prefer all 8x10s unless there’s something you don't want to enlarge.

Well, this portfolio would be for presentation to customers. This is mostly portraiture.

I've tried looking on Google for portfolios, but they all tend to be online and unrelated peices. This isn't just my best photos, (I'm making this from scratch), this has to be more structured and planned.

I also want to know if I should make one big portfolio or divide the subject matter into different ones.

Most reactions

Back