Creating digital from print....

Wizard1500

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I do hope I'm posting this in the correct forum.....

In my earlier years, I worked part-time at a local Studio.....I shot weddings for them, but mostly, I did their film processing and printing. I was fortunate enough to also be able to process and print my portraits, that I shot, elsewhere (home studio, and on location)......

I have several portraits of my wife that I would like to have digital images of....for each of these images, I have a 4x5, 8x10, and 20x24 (I was careful to match exposre, and color correction on all sizes for a particular image).....these sets have been protected from light and humidity since 1984, and still look great.....

My plan is to make a digital image, using 2 soft boxes set at 45° angles to the print, probably 150 watts each.....I plan on using my D3200 with 40mm micro lens.....

Now, for my question.....which size image would be the best to use? My first guess would be the 8x10 would give me the best "working distance", but, would the quality be sufficient?.....also, the only lenses I have are the 2 kit lenses, and the 40mm micro.......I assume the 40mm would be the best choice.....I will be shooting the camera on manual focus and exposured.....

8 x10? Just scan it.
Don't have a scanner, and don't wish to take it to a company to be done......

Well, then shoot different prints with your setup and pick the best. Also include a color and greyscale chart on the corner if you can.

Scanning produces nice results. If shadows lose some details give it a very light single image HDR treatment with 3 - 1/2 stop exposures in LR. That was what was done in this example.

File:150 'Dye Transfer Scans' 2012 Daniel D. Teoli Jr LLR.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

Good luck!

Thanks for the responses.....I did not realize scanners were that good, at that price point.....guess I'll order one......

You can get an Epson all-in-one printer/scanner/copier and fax machine with WiFi for 100 to 150 bucks. The scanner will do up to 8 1/2" X 11" at 1200dpi. I have done panorama scans and put larger pics back together with Photoshop.
You'll be happy you chose to go with scanning.
I only photograph if the print can't be flattened to go on the flatbed scanner.

Most reactions

Back