creating personal website

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by goldie0406, Oct 18, 2009.

1. goldie0406

goldie0406 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hi everyone,
    I'm a newbie here so please bare with me! I'm really excited in learning more about photography and it's definitely a hobby that I will be keeping for a long long time.

Anyway, I am looking into building my own personal photography site to show off my pictures to all of my friends and family. I've signed up for a domain at Webhostingpage.com but I am still awaiting for my account information. I would like to know if there are any cool semi-pro template that I can download for free or if you could point me to the right direction of signing up for a different hosting company that will provide more support for photography sites.

Thanks in advance for all your help! ;)

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I host my site with Hostgator.com. It's been very good service for a nice low price. I think they do have some basic templates and web site building tools. Many hosting services also have templates & simple site building tools.

3. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Zenfolio and/or SmugMug are geared to photography and you can use your domain name.

4. bigtwinky

bigtwinky No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If you are just looking for a place to host and share, you can always have a look at www.flickr.com

I have been using it for a year to host up my various pictures. And while my personal website is nearly done, it will only be showing my favorite / best work while I like to post much more on my flickr.

The free acccount allows you 200 photos while the pro account ($25 per year, $40 per year) will allow unlimited.

If its just for hosting / sharing, I've found flickr fine. Facebook can be also be good as well, as many of my friends aren't into photography and wouldn't necessarily check out flickr on their own. So some go on facebook, most good on flickr and the best go on my personal site.

5. tom123

tom123 TPF Noob!