creation

raider

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
you create from scratch two separate advertisements for a DJ company - 1 postcard (ordered 100) and 1 20x30 movie style poster. they're top notch. what would YOU charge them? (please ignore factors such as location, experience, quality, how they'd use it, etc -- thanks, trying to get a mean value)

Obviously, not a very big DJ company if they only want 100 postcards.

I would have worked pricing out before investing much time and it would have been written into the contract before any major work was done. Further, I wouldn't have started work without being paid a non-refundable retainer/creative fee sufficient to reimburse my time should the client decide not to purchase in the end.

The way this kind of work gets billed for is dependent on the usage, so how they would use them is the key for pricing.

They would have no rights to produce more of either on their own. If they wanted more they would have to come back to me and place another order or renegotiate the use license.

Both the postcard and the 20x30 would be registered with the U. S. Copyright Office and self published by me before delivery. My delivery invoice would state the location the images were published so if they decided to infringe my copyright my attorney would have no problem showing a willful infringement.

Hope that helps.

Edit: You might want to look at:
Pricing and Estimating Guides
Business Links

Last edited:
well thanks - it's informational, but I'm looking for a very rote answer, a mere opinion, if you will. there's too much other info that i could provide like the 100 postcards was for a single gig to present to local bars - it's probably the biggest dj company in the region. i'm also in a partnership with them via incorporation - but that's beside the point. if someone asked for these items and you've covered all the copyrights / legalities / contracts, and they wouldn't reproduce it, and the business that it brought them wasn't a factor -- what would it be worth to you for your time and creative process. sort of like your neighbor's neighbor asking you to design birthday invitation postcards for their daughter's birthday party...but more formal and they're looking for your going rate. thanks for any more considerations!

I think the best price to charge would be $237.69

I mean really, there is no rote answer to this, because this will often change based on too many factors, including location.

well thanks - it's informational, but I'm looking for a very rote answer, a mere opinion, if you will. there's too much other info that i could provide like the 100 postcards was for a single gig to present to local bars - it's probably the biggest dj company in the region. i'm also in a partnership with them via incorporation - but that's beside the point. if someone asked for these items and you've covered all the copyrights / legalities / contracts, and they wouldn't reproduce it, and the business that it brought them wasn't a factor -- what would it be worth to you for your time and creative process. sort of like your neighbor's neighbor asking you to design birthday invitation postcards for their daughter's birthday party...but more formal and they're looking for your going rate. thanks for any more considerations!
Yes, well, you're welcome......I think.

My final consideration is to suggest you contact your nearest office of SCORE (Service Corporation Of Retired Executives) for their free business counseling help. www.score.org

natewagner - perfect - thanks. 237.69 -- just what i was looking for. kmh - appreciate the suggestion!

i know it's difficult for the seasoned business person to just throw out a price when there are many factors to consider, but maybe this is just a social experiment on collecting responses due to the myriad of posts that come up with "how much do i charge". if you're selling a left shoe, for instance, you would probably charge based on the perceived standard price for a pair of shoes in an average shoe store in america ($29). but if that left shoe was worn by elvis while he was in the army - it might go for millions. it doesn't always have to incorporate every facet of pricing factors. how much would you sell lemonade at a child's lemonade stand? how much is 1 hour worth in putting together a design for a dentist ad? and, yes, it is different if the graphic designer is totally outsourced or it's a receptionist who works at that dentist office and has that particular skillset. really, i'm just throwing out thoughts on my keyboard now - i'm sure you understand. maybe a better question would be "what's the best way to find an accurate way to price something?" call other businesses in your area and ask what they charge maybe posing as a customer / percentages / how much your car payment runs?

:lmao::lmao::lmao: NateWagner just snatched a number out of thin air. Guess you didn't get the joke.:lmao::lmao::lmao:

yep... i was returning the snideness. the question was, after all, how much would YOU charge. i would charge $2 a card - same as a wedding thank you card.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back