creative careers are foolish

Being succinct was never a strength of mine. I'll try to increase the brevity of my posts in future.

Reading the rest of this thread, I just had flashbacks to the dip spitting dads of my childhood. Gonna go take some Aleve to get the bad taste out of my brain, brb

Last edited:

Being succinct was never a strength of mine. I'll try to increase the brevity of my posts in future.

No, this wasn't directed at you at all. It was directed at a post that bribrius wrote and then deleted. And I would not have directed this at you anyway; I like to read your posts, short or long.

No, this wasn't directed at you at all. It was directed at a post that bribrius wrote and then deleted. And I would not have directed this at you anyway; I like to read your posts, short or long.
geez, thanks. Yeh, this thread went way off topic. Decided not to add to it anymore. Mod, cleanup on aisle 9......

I'm a guy. I've never really understood the idea that showing emotion was a weakness, although in school there were plenty of times when anyone who did show their feelings were made fun of or bullied. And yet, those who were doing the mocking were revealing their own fears and insecurities. The truly strong ones didn't have to put anyone down or "show" their power. They were not afraid to show emotion, probably because they were secure in who they were and what they were. I've tried to learn this lesson and apply it to my own family. My kids (and wife and inlaws) have seen me laugh and cry, be frustrated and angry, be giddy with delight and numb with sorrow. It's a naked feeling when your emotions are there for others to see. And there's a trust as well when those emotions can be seen by others and reacted to.

The sad thing is, I just took several career tests because I am not happy with my career choice at this moment and now is the time to change (junior in college)...

In other words, this thread made me more indecisive :(

Heather, sometimes you can plan for a career. But given how things change, and how we as people evolve in our thinking and focus, it would not be unusual to change one's career anywhere 3-8 times during one's life. Serendipity and circumstance play a much more important role than many of us care to admit. The key appears to be to be open to opportunities and to be unafraid to try something. So many people never achieve anything because they are afraid to start "just in case that wasn't what I wanted to do anyways". You just don't know what will "click" with you, until you try and by that I mean really try. It takes time to acquire enough knowledge of any field to understand what you're doing in it. If, after getting that expertise, you find that the field is not for you, then it's not a "failure" but a learning opportunity that allows you to have a better insight into yourself and the world around you.

Heather, sometimes you can plan for a career. But given how things change, and how we as people evolve in our thinking and focus, it would not be unusual to change one's career anywhere 3-8 times during one's life. Serendipity and circumstance play a much more important role than many of us care to admit. The key appears to be to be open to opportunities and to be unafraid to try something. So many people never achieve anything because they are afraid to start "just in case that wasn't what I wanted to do anyways". You just don't know what will "click" with you, until you try and by that I mean really try. It takes time to acquire enough knowledge of any field to understand what you're doing in it. If, after getting that expertise, you find that the field is not for you, then it's not a "failure" but a learning opportunity that allows you to have a better insight into yourself and the world around you.

So as I am doing, stick with a general business degree (administration) and find my way along the journey of life? I completely get and understand your answer. I see so many people get a degree in specific careers and later do nothing that has to do with the degree. I feel that is a wasted thing. I like to spend my time wisely and use all the resources I can to better my life and others lives. I guess I will continue on my path and see how it pans out :)

Heather; try not to get too worked up over it. It really is a shame how college kids are expected to decide a career path. Sure, some do, but I think most are simply thrashing about like a fish out of water.

Heather; try not to get too worked up over it. It really is a shame how college kids are expected to decide a career path. Sure, some do, but I think most are simply thrashing about like a fish out of water.
I agree completely. Its sad how 12-18 years of school, prepares a child little to NONE for the real world...

A business degree is not wasted if it allows you to analyse and apply your knowledge to new fields. I originally did a degree in biochemistry. However, my first real job was in an engineering firm. I applied my knowledge of how to do research, how to look for interconnected processes, how to test and verify my hypotheses to develop what started as an essentially clerical job into one where we built a computer department essentially from scratch. In THAT job, I learned about the imprecision of known data, of the human foibles that torpedo well-laid plans, in the way management often lives in a different reality from that of the company they "manage". That knowledge was applied in a different field (software design) where we had to learn how to parse design ideas dreamed up by the marketing and design teams into something that was actually useful to the marketplace. And so it does.

In fact, the most powerful ideas are often those which are taken from one field and applied to a completely different one. Agility of imagination is often much more powerful than ability to memorize data and processes.

A business degree is not wasted if it allows you to analyse and apply your knowledge to new fields. I originally did a degree in biochemistry. However, my first real job was in an engineering firm. I applied my knowledge of how to do research, how to look for interconnected processes, how to test and verify my hypotheses to develop what started as an essentially clerical job into one where we built a computer department essentially from scratch. In THAT job, I learned about the imprecision of known data, of the human foibles that torpedo well-laid plans, in the way management often lives in a different reality from that of the company they "manage". That knowledge was applied in a different field (software design) where we had to learn how to parse design ideas dreamed up by the marketing and design teams into something that was actually useful to the marketplace. And so it does.

In fact, the most powerful ideas are often those which are taken from one field and applied to a completely different one. Agility of imagination is often much more powerful than ability to memorize data and processes.
Oh I wasn't saying a business degree is wasteful at all. I find that most people these days do nothing that has to do with their degree.

I also find you do learn a lot within various jobs. In which I have found things I like and dislike with certain jobs.

Most reactions

Back