creative careers are foolish

A business degree is not wasted if it allows you to analyse and apply your knowledge to new fields. I originally did a degree in biochemistry. However, my first real job was in an engineering firm. I applied my knowledge of how to do research, how to look for interconnected processes, how to test and verify my hypotheses to develop what started as an essentially clerical job into one where we built a computer department essentially from scratch. In THAT job, I learned about the imprecision of known data, of the human foibles that torpedo well-laid plans, in the way management often lives in a different reality from that of the company they "manage". That knowledge was applied in a different field (software design) where we had to learn how to parse design ideas dreamed up by the marketing and design teams into something that was actually useful to the marketplace. And so it does.
In fact, the most powerful ideas are often those which are taken from one field and applied to a completely different one. Agility of imagination is often much more powerful than ability to memorize data and processes.

To that I would add "critical thinking" which is why a college degree is never a waste, regardless of whether or not it has a direct impact on employment. If you truly take advantage of your time there to learn new ways of understanding and interacting with the world, then you've got tools to help you no matter what direction you end up going in.

Giving an old-fashioned reply, enough of side-tracked discussion in suicide, imho.

Is the passion to create enough to justify the hardships?

In my case I spent most of my time fighting for respect, justifying my position, and convincing people with zero creativity that my idea and opinions are valid. I spend many night away from my family to create things for people who are ungrateful. All for the same pay as a retail manager.

Sometimes I wonder if accounting or plumbing would have yielded less stress and more money to enjoy creative hobbies.

I believe so.

The people I've met thus far in my life, the happiest people, are those who do what they love for a living. No exceptions.

As for earning people's respect, my take on that is simply that I don't want your respect if you won't freely give it. You need no person's validation besides your own, and nobody is going to stop you from doing what you want to do besides you. That's what gets me when people talk about how few individuals "make it" in photography. I can promise you that those master, celebrity-status photographers never once thought to themselves "Man, I probably won't make it, so I should just not try." If they had, they wouldn't be where they are. You need complete and utter confidence in yourself. That applies to any area of work.

Also, if you're getting paid the same as a retail manager, target bigger fish. For example, I work full-time at my current studio job, but I'm building a wedding client base on the side. I have ZERO wedding experience, but this year I'm scheduled to pull in an extra 50% income from weddings alone, and that's at dirt cheap prices ($2k / wedding). Next year, when I actually have photos besides landscapes to show clients, I'll be doubling my prices and specifically targeting weddings in the $4-8k price range. My goal is 15 weddings for next year, more than doubling my income. I won't be able to do that, let alone get the clients, if I don't have absolute confidence in my abilities, even in areas I have never shot before.

Things will look good if you give them no other option.

^This is the most (if not the only) useful reply to the Original Post. Having this sort of a mentality will turn obstacles like fighting for respect, making a retail managers salary, or want of a job that you aren't passionate for, into trivial hurdles. They really are unimportant if you remain confidant and focused on the bigger picture. You've made it this far. What's to say you can't make it any further?

Also.. anyone facing similar dillema's.. check this out: TED Talk - Find your Passion Do What you love - YouTube

I'm a guy. I've never really understood the idea that showing emotion was a weakness, although in school there were plenty of times when anyone who did show their feelings were made fun of or bullied. And yet, those who were doing the mocking were revealing their own fears and insecurities. The truly strong ones didn't have to put anyone down or "show" their power. They were not afraid to show emotion, probably because they were secure in who they were and what they were. I've tried to learn this lesson and apply it to my own family. My kids (and wife and inlaws) have seen me laugh and cry, be frustrated and angry, be giddy with delight and numb with sorrow. It's a naked feeling when your emotions are there for others to see. And there's a trust as well when those emotions can be seen by others and reacted to.
little more than that. Interesting concept video below. But in all seriousness. The developed world became this way somehow. The u.s became a super power some how. And it wasn't by being a bunch of ninnies.

I'm a guy. I've never really understood the idea that showing emotion was a weakness, although in school there were plenty of times when anyone who did show their feelings were made fun of or bullied. And yet, those who were doing the mocking were revealing their own fears and insecurities. The truly strong ones didn't have to put anyone down or "show" their power. They were not afraid to show emotion, probably because they were secure in who they were and what they were. I've tried to learn this lesson and apply it to my own family. My kids (and wife and inlaws) have seen me laugh and cry, be frustrated and angry, be giddy with delight and numb with sorrow. It's a naked feeling when your emotions are there for others to see. And there's a trust as well when those emotions can be seen by others and reacted to.
little more than that. Interesting concept video below. But in all seriousness. The developed world became this way somehow. The u.s became a super power some how. And it wasn't by being a bunch of ninnies.

Really, it's all about the appropriateness of emotion and how it factors into decision making.

It's a balance that the concept of "machismo," by its very nature, will not, and cannot understand.

I mean, yes it can get some stuff done, but there is often a severe cost, and that cost isn't always burdened upon the people making the decisions.

I believe the more "enlightened" person can look inside themselves and come to terms with their feelings, while still being able to put them aside (if need be) in order to do what needs to be done.

Humans are emotional by nature. If they weren't, communities would not be able to form.

Last edited:

I think it's the association of emotion with ninniness that is the issue for A LOT of people. It depends on where you grow up, though, I'll admit.

But I just have to question that mentality.

If the over-emotional people are ninnies.

Then I guess the opposite of a ninny is a sociopath.

I'll choose the former, please.

Really, it's all about the appropriateness of emotion and how it factors into decision making.

I believe the more "enlightened" person can look inside themselves and come to terms with their feelings, while still being able to put them aside (if need be) in order to do what needs to be done.

Humans are emotional by nature. If they weren't, communities would not be able to form.
Agree to a large extent, especially the highlighted part. It changes with where you grow, where in the world you grow up, generation. Most of it amounts to spoiled brat syndrome or inner child syndrome in my mind. To be honest. Most everything built, was built by the generations that came before. since the baby boomers it seems to have of stalled and after that we moved to what is more a "entitlement" generation. i was raised pretty much depression era mindset, just how i was raised. so that explains my outlook. Not that i was in the depression, i am fairly young. Just on upbringing. I think as we have moved further from such instances of catastrophe, as generations pass people do seem to get "soft" though. How soon they forget. And for someone crying in current times, i have to ask what did they accomplish? pretty much baby boomers forward didn't do a hell of a lot. Everyone is living on what others built. Which is fine, that is why they built it. But how soon people forget. Short of 911 (which is horrific i suppose but a penny in the bucket in the terms of historys atrocities) the u.s. culture hasn't had much for a wake up call. so, it develops these "things". And i question most of it because i ask myself. Well how much is this persons line of thinking worth? what have they experienced? what have they been through? what did they build? And in most cases the answer is nothing. just nothing. They are living on what their great grand dad built. They dont know jack. But seem real quick to come up with a grievance and plenty of time to be emotional. I really cant even take some of the newer mentalities seriously. They come from people, that just did NOTHING.

I think it's the association of emotion with ninniness that is the issue for A LOT of people. It depends on where you grow up, though, I'll admit.

Agree to a large extent, especially the highlighted part. It changes with where you grow, where in the world you grow up, generation. Most of it amounts to spoiled brat syndrome or inner child syndrome in my mind. To be honest. Most everything built, was built by the generations that came before. since the baby boomers it seems to have of stalled and after that we moved to what is more a "entitlement" generation. i was raised pretty much depression era mindset, just how i was raised. so that explains my outlook. Not that i was in the depression, i am fairly young. Just on upbringing. I think as we have moved further from such instances of catastrophe, as generations pass people do seem to get "soft" though. How soon they forget. And for someone crying in current times, i have to ask what did they accomplish? pretty much baby boomers forward didn't do a hell of a lot. Everyone is living on what others built. Which is fine, that is why they built it. But how soon people forget. Short of 911 (which is horrific i suppose but a penny in the bucket in the terms of historys atrocities) the u.s. culture hasn't had much for a wake up call. so, it develops these "things". And i question most of it because i ask myself. Well how much is this persons line of thinking worth? what have they experienced? what have they been through? what did they build? And in most cases the answer is nothing. just nothing. They are living on what their great grand dad built. They dont know jack. But seem real quick to come up with a grievance and plenty of time to be emotional. I really cant even take some of the newer mentalities seriously. They come from people, that just did NOTHING.

I do think that there are some younger people who are very ignorant to the way progress is made and the way the world works in general. It has been highlighted several times in the past few years. This article says a lot: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/22/o..._id&bicmst=1409232722000&bicmet=1419773522000

However, I wouldn't necessarily look at history through rose-tinted glasses. Many of the things that came out of our grandparents' generation happened because it was something that was inevitable.

After the first World War, for example, America's attitude toward world affairs became more and more isolationist. We were thrust into WWII by our government, only after the conflicts became so threatening that it could not be ignored (Pearl Harbor and all that). Then came civil rights, which did not go over very smoothly either.

Was our grandparent's generation just better in general? Maybe. I was not there and we have not been under parallel circumstances, so I can't answer that. The situation is more complex than "older generations good, newer generations ninnies."

What I will say, however, is that things always look better to the winners in hindsight, because they're the ones who write the history books.

Last edited:

I do think that there are some younger people who are very ignorant to the way progress is made and the way the world works in general. It has been highlighted several times in the past few years. This article says a lot: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/22/o..._id&bicmst=1409232722000&bicmet=1419773522000

However, I wouldn't necessarily look at history through rose-tinted glasses. Many of the things that came out of our grandparents' generation happened because it was something that was inevitable.

After the first World War, for example, America's attitude toward world affairs became more and more isolationist. We were thrust into WWII by our government, only after the conflicts became so threatening that it could not be ignored (Pearl Harbor and all that). Then came civil rights, which did not go over very smoothly either.

Was our grandparent's generation just better in general? Maybe. I was not there and we have not been under parallel circumstances, so I can't answer that. The situation is more complex than "older generations good, newer generations ninnies."

What I will say, however, is that things always look better to the winners in hindsight, because they're the ones who write the history books.

here is a safe room for them. Send them all. LMAO I have to admit i like the last line "i got lost on my way to college sir"

Most reactions

Back