Creek Dogwood, Quaking Aspen, Willow, Rush Creek

David_Senesac

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.davidsenesac.com
07-CC1-1.jpg

From October 3rd at Rush Creek in the Eastern Sierra, the first sheet I exposed on a week long fall foliage road trip. This spot with creek dogwood, cornus sericea, below small quaking aspen trunks caught my eye although it had already gone into shade. However the steep opposite slope of yellow willow and cottonwood leaves were still in sun providing reflected light into this little area. The creek is on the frame's left edge within willow. So I climbed down a steep slope to a very cramped spot with little tripod options. Was rather surprised at the quality of the light that glowed within the trees at eye level just from the nearby ambient reflection on this otherwise blue sky day. I worried about getting adequate depth of field due to the considerable range of subject distances within the trees. Set the lower frame focus for a bit beyond the nearest dogwood, the upper tilt focus for a ways back in the aspen trunks, and added a wee bit of swing for the tree at the left edge. Using my 150mm Nikkor lens I stopped down to the maximum f/60 that required an 8 second exposure at what I guessed would be about right. Thus I set it on bulb and would use my cheap Kmart wristwatch second hand to time it crudely. Well I pressed the shutter release cable when I guessed the breeze would wane a bit, and about 6 seconds into the ticking, I noticed a breeze fluttering leaves in the distance. So at 7 seconds I paniced and released. Later was glad the shorter exposure was actually optimal and am rather supprised how much sharpness I got on the film. Provia 100F crudely flatbed scanned and post process for a close match to the 4x5 transparency. The slide does show this slight blue cast on the trunks and rocks in part due to the blue sky above.

Beautiful shot- Killer gallery too! Help us please,... :)

Wow, that's nice. All the colors are very pleasant to my eyes.
Thanks for sharing!

Appreciate the comments folks, thanks. I'll continue to drop by every few months and post a bit at this large photography community.

For those perusing my site with an interest in wildflower images, I'd recommend from my below home page selecting the "Coolpix Closeup Slideshow Page" sub-page link and then viewing the top two of six slideshows listed, "Coastal region" and "Sierra Nevada" wildflower selections.

It's round about now that I feel like saying I never wish to see a camera with a 1.6 crop sensor ever again. Great shot here and many more on your website - don't stay away too long.

Excellent work David!!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back