Creepy Dolls

Discussion in 'The Black & White Gallery' started by zulu42, Dec 27, 2017.

1. zulu42

zulu42 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Local museum display, behind glass.....thank god!

Any critique appreciated. How do you like the conversions?

Thanks for looking

creep dolls-1.jpg

creep dolls-1-3.jpg

creep dolls-1-4.jpg

creep dolls-1-6.jpg

creep dolls-1-7.jpg

2. terri

terri Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Personally, I find all dolls creepy so, in that regard, they all work. :lol: For having to shoot through glass, you did a good job with light and composition, although #4 is a bit soft and it's unfortunate that the feet are cut off.

There is a disconcerting white pointed slash coming out of the left side of the face of the last image (#5). I can't make out what it is, but it could likely be removed. Also in that frame there is a slight cobweb at the top of the doll, which you may have seen and decided to let show, which is fine. I can't decide if it adds to the "creepy" theme or is simply a slight distracting element. Totally your call there.

I think your conversion is okay, with #s 1 and 4 being a little bright and #2 being perhaps a little too contrasty. But again, without being able to move your subjects around and control the lighting, it's tough.

3. zulu42

zulu42 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Hi terri thanks very much for taking the time to post these very helpful comments.

It was a challenge, the reflections limited angles and I was stuck with the layout and lighting. The real problem was beginner mistakes. When chimping I thought I had better focus and DOF. I think most of the regulars here would have found a better composition, and many would have found some amazing shots, so that's a little frustrating. But, these are all shots that can lead to improvement, and I'm having fun :)

Thanks again.

• Like Like x 1
  4. terri

terri Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit

Well, that IS the point of it all, when you get right down to it. ;) Enjoy the journey!