Cricket clean bowled!

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
photoparsec.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What do you think of this shot? Please be honest, brutally if need be, I would rather learn from being told my photos were crap, than to be told my photos were "nice shots" all the time.

Wicket1.jpg

I have edited the original, It was way too bright and had no colour, so I dropped the gamma down to 23 % and added 50 on the saturation.

File
Name SG101370.JPG
Location C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\My Pictures\Cricket\
Size 3.01MB
Created 10/6/2007 7:43:38 PM
Modified 10/6/2007 2:49:12 PM
Accessed 10/9/2007 9:30:46 PM
Image Attributes
Format JPEG interchanged
Compression Baseline JPEG
Dimensions 3872x2592 (10.0 MP)
Bit Depth 24
EXIF Metadata
Manufacturer SAMSUNG TECHWIN Co.
Model SAMSUNG GX10
Orientation of image Normal
Software used GX10 Ver 1.00
File change date/time 2007:10:06 14:49:11
Y and C positioning Co-Sited
Exposure time 1/1000
F number 9.5
Exposure program Manual
ISO speed ratings 400
Exposure bias 0
Metering mode Multi
Flash Flash off
Lens focal length 210
Color space information sRGB
Valid image width 3872
Valid image height 2592
Exposure mode Manual
White balance Manual WB
Focal length in 35 mm film 315
Scene capture type Standard
Sharpness Normal

I think the main think I'd suggest in such bright circumstances is to reduce the ISO rating, so that you can open up the aperture more and throw the background into a soft blur - this would help with getting the viewers attention onto the batsman. The other thing I'd suggest is to try and get the contrast down a bit, as you've lost both highlight and shadow detail here. On a positive , your timing is good as the bails are still in the air, perhaps too much to ask for the ball to be in shot too.

Cheers......I didn't think about increasing the aperture. I was experimenting with it smaller. also I increased the ISO but forgot to change it back, as I was previously shooting at 1/2000.
Unfortunately with the ball, I took several shots in the sequence, the shot before this one had the ball 1 foot from the stumps, and he had just missed the shot. very hard to get timing, bit of luck. I don't think the ball was even in the full shot, this is cropped.

I find the background to be really distracting. The white barrel and drainpipes seem to be part of the batter (batter?). You may want to clone them out or try a slightly different POV next time. Was this a crop of a larger image, because the whole thing seems slightly out of focus to me. OK, enough gripping. The background aside, the placement of the composition elements is good and the timing of the shot was good. Oops! One other problem I just noticed, the entire image appears to be tilted slightly clockwise.

I'm not sure if this is a direct attack on your shot or not, but I kept trying to scroll to the right to see more of the shot, but there was nothing there to see. I think the somewhat tilted alignment works here (which is rather rare) because of the action and spinal alignment of the subject. The brick wall is rather distracting to me though, I picture open field behind someone in a cricket match (or game, or round, or whatever it's called, excuse my American ignorance) rather than a wall.

I don't like the cricket (or w/e you call it) right in front of his face.

In order to assist in overcoming the terminalogical diffculties being encountered in this thread, you may choose to refer to the brief glossary below:

Batsman: A person who is currently at the crease, with the aim of playing cricketing strokes with a cricket bat.

Cricket bat: A piece of wood shaped to most effectively strike a cricket ball. Usually made of willow and around 2.5 to 3.6 lbs in overall weight.

Cricket match: An 11 a side event in which two teams play the game of cricket. Several forms exist including limited overs cricket (usually 20, 40 or 50 overs per side), or the more traditional form played over 3, 4 or 5 days. Test match cricket between nations is of the 5 day form and the current rule is that each day should consist of a minimum 90 overs, subject to the vagaries of light, weather, streakers and Pakistani temper tantrums.

Over: An over in standard form is of 6 balls delivered by a bowler. Balls that are 'wide' or 'no-balls' are not counted in the 6 required and must be re-delivered by the bowler.

Further clarification may be provided on request...

How do I keep the background from distracting from the player. I had the aperture at 4.5 and the background is still too focussed.

Its nearly impossible to get everything you want out of this sort of photo. in 8 hours chances are that you may get 3-4 times this happening, and timing is a game of luck. You also have to be extremely patient, as if you aim completely for this shot, you can forget about every other shot that is out there.

Most reactions

Back