Crispy Photos! Help!

Suiko

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi everyone. This is my first post here...

I've recently graduated from an ancient Canon SD100 Powershot to a sparkly Nikon Coolpix 5400. It's quite a jump for me and there are a lot of settings that I am not yet familar with...

I like taking pictures of flowers and landscapes... so I took the new camera out for a spin yesterday, though when I transferred them to my PC I noticed that a lot of the images were very... crispy.

You may see what I mean with this:

DSCN0033.jpg

See how the edges of those leaves are kind of crispy-looking?

I'm not sure what could be causing it... whether its a shutter speed problem, or exposure... or whatever...

Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do to remedy these crispy images?

I'm not sure I see what you mean by "Crispy". Maybe it's because the background is quite bright. It's sorta hard to tell on an image that has been reduced for web viewing.

How did you shirnk the photo? is the "cripsyness" in the original as well?

I didn't shrink them. It's the camera settings to have them sized like that. The crispiness is in all of the photographs that I've taken with the camera, even in darker areas.

The edges of the leaves are where the crispiness is. How they are somewhat distorted...

Maybe I should lower the photo quality or increase the size of the pictures? :(

Probably somwthing to do with the camera sharpening the image as a lot of digital P&S camreas do that. I don;t know your camera, but have a look in the settings to see if you can reduce sharpening, or alternatively if it allows you to shoot in RAW format, use that, and the crispiness should be gone - however you will need to process your pics manually in PS or the camera software.

I know what you're talking about. I borrowed a friends Nikon P&S and had a pretty hard time setting it up to how I wanted. (when I got it off him, the photos were just like yours)
If you go into the Menu settings, you'll find somewhere a setting for the Sharpness. It might not be set to auto. If it is set to auto and these are the results, try turning the sharpness completely off and try taking another photo. With the sharpness completely off, you might find the photos a little blurry and not so 'crisp' or sharp. You'll just have to find the sharpness setting that's right for that camera.

Good luck.

Most reactions

Back