Crit pls!

slinkymike

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
This is from the very first shots, I'm interested to know what people think of them and how I could improve :)

yfu8wj.jpg

yfu8wn.jpg

yfu8wu.jpg

IMHO all of them are a bit off focus, sorry, like the subjects though

Don't go mch on the top one did you put it first so the others were more impressive? That's what I would of done. Middle one has potential, would be quite good if lit in a different manner. I like the bottom one the most of the three but I can't help thinking it'd be a product shot, bad as a product shot but good as an art shot.

Middle shot is my favorite, but it needs some dodging of the highlights.

The others don't do anything for me. As far as being out of focus, I don't think they are, only soft from resizing, you should use unsharp mask after resizing from fullsized.

Thanks for the input!

All of these where shot with flash, i had just got my (very first) camera and stumbled outside at dusk ...mmm ...what this macro thingy?
Lets try it out!

Thats how these 1st shots were taken, lately I refuse to use the flash. It ruins all the dramatic shadows etc.

Here is a more recent pic that shows how I have benefited from ditching the flash:

yfvo2y.jpg

...flash would have washed out everything that works about this picture (to me that is! -im no expert!)

It seems that my images are beign resized when I post them ...will have to try and suss out what the cause is (this image is actually 5 megapixels).

slinkymike said:
...flash would have washed out everything that works about this picture (to me that is! -im no expert!)

Well, IMHO, this child photo is way overexposed.

yea, it is digital.
the overexposed bits vs the shadows from the window is what i really liked about this pic.
...am i way off wiht what is acceptable?

what do you mean when you say it isnt my fault if its digital?

i dont photoshop or anything like that - no levels or brightness/comtrast ...just straight out of the camera, do you mean i ought to spend some time tweaking it??

i really want to learn the rules before bending them so pls be straight forward inn your responses ...i wont hold a grudge! ;)

slinkymike said:
i dont photoshop or anything like that - no levels or brightness/comtrast ...just straight out of the camera, do you mean i ought to spend some time tweaking it??

Most definately. I think you have a great capture and tweaking it would do the image wonders. You should give PS a try.

i will try that out!

i use a Cybershot T11, not a professional style camera by any means!
it does have many settings etc. which i hope will take me from my beginner phase into intermediate before i feel the need for something else.
i usually use it in 'program' mode (opposite of automatic) where i can select: ISO 100/200/400 and ev -2.0 - +2.0, also brightness/contrast in the actual shot and then different focus combinations.

once i can master those few controls and get great pics i will start thinking of getting a camera that is less of a 'snapshot' type but for now im really stunned by the quality of the pics i get out of it! :)

an interesting thing about this camera is that there is no viewfinder ...just a 2,5" LCD screen at the back.

Floyd said:
jonmikal said:
Floyd said:
hold on a tic if it's a digital that's not his fault.

?
Well unless he uses a digital SLR or plays with his settings (most digital users don't) he shouldn't have any control over his exposure.

Actually, most digital users on this forum DO. But anyway..how bout telling us what equipment you used? :) That will better help us give you suggestions!

Edit: I'm an idiot and didn't see that you said what you shot with in the last post!!! I'm not familiar with that camera, but I'm sure someone here is.

Most reactions

Back