Criticisim needed please!!!

rachelnan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am going to be taking photos for a few more people so, I want to get some pointers before I go out. So please comments and a lot of criticisim please!!!

Thank you

leanontree.jpg

leanonrockwithsmile.jpg

layingpinkshirt.jpg

layinondockagain.jpg

armuponrockbw.jpg

Sorry for so many pics, I just wanted a variety, Thanks again!!!

first ... she is so cute :)

about the pics I think you are so good ... you have nice ideas

but with little more practice ... you'll be great

Before you look at my comments don't look at the length of them and think oh god this guy hates them; not the case. I am just up with the inability to sleep and in between shoulder workouts (I just dislocated my shoulder) I'm making a comment of each one of your photos. As you can tell in my inability to sleep I'm also long winded. But here is my take on this photo set. I'm very much a noob at this so I may be just way off in left field with these comments but they are my opinion as an amateur, nothing more. Hope they help.

I'm not sure what it is about her facial expression in this one but I can't just look at her and think of it as natural. She seems uncomfortable. Then again a lot of people are in front of a camera. I really like this shot. I'm wondering what it would like a little farther out so that you get more of her and the tree. I'm just being picky but I think that's what you want. A good shot.

I really like this one but if I was going to take this again I'd like to see a little more light on the person's face. I'm pretty sure this can be accomplished with a flash, not pointed directly at her, or with something white that could reflect some sunlight back on to her face without becoming over whelming. A very good shot. Nice balance of subject and background.

I'm not sure what it is about this shot but she just seems to be really forcing her face. I like shots where the subject seems to be relaxed and natural. You were most likely going for this look of her looking behind her, it's just not my cup of tea. I'd like to see one from this angle with her head relaxed as if the camera was not there at all, or at least not on her mind.

Well done on this shot, as busy as her shirt is I'm drawn to her face and it really is a good shot. However I think your camera was more drawn to her shirt; by this I mean I think her shirt is more in focus than her face. Once again nice balance of background and subject as well as pose. Very well done.

I'd like to see this one in color, It's just me being picky again with my personal tastes. I've never been a fan of B&W with certain colors standing out (I'm sure there is a name for it but i can't be bothered looking right now). I really like this shot as well

Cheers from the North
-TAG

Personally, I think that if you're gonna do selective coloring on the eyes, that's not a good eye colour to do it with. What with the grey skin and pale green eyes, it makes her look a bit sickly...

Awesome portrait shots. I think you did a great job. I dont know much about portrait photography, but i know you will do great.

Thank you all very much I appreciate the time you take to give me your imput.

I have had some trouble with too much blur tool on the face and getting the camera to focus on the face I need to do some research.

I agree, now that you have pointed it out, about the color of the eyes. I think the picture would work better if the contrast was raised and the eye color was more brilliant, which could prolly be acheieved with PS, what do you think???

I like taking pictures of the people upside down and laying down, etc. any ideas on their expressions not being forced or their forehead being wrinkled? Where should I have them look, etc???

I took these pictures in the middle of the day, which I have now learned was probably not the best time, what is the best time of day to do outside photos???

Thanks again for your time!!!

I would think the morning, but if you have to take them during the day you're going to have to try to stick to a lightly shaded area, or using flashes or reflections to try to get rid of the harsh shadows.

......I think

-TAG

I agree, now that you have pointed it out, about the color of the eyes. I think the picture would work better if the contrast was raised and the eye color was more brilliant, which could prolly be acheieved with PS, what do you think???

Well if you really wanted, you could select the eyes in PS and then change their hue into a nice clear blue colour or even something cool like red, but some might think of that as 'cheating' :D

I think I will try that, maybe a few different things and see what happens!!!

I have learned a lot about selective coloring since joining this forum, and I really appreciate it!!!

THANKS

From this non-portrait-photographer's perspective, here's my take...

The poses look a bit stiff... I think the best portraits are the ones where you took the shot without the person necessarily expecting you to. It's when they expect you to push the button that they stiffen up. There's a whole other thread on getting people to loosen up. Search for "smile" and you'll likely find it. The key is to just try to get your model to loosen up a a bit, and don't be afraid to take a shot when they are not looking directly at the camera- you can get some cool pics that way.

I think the compositions themselves are nice overall.

Watchout for sun outdoors. If you have the sun in your subject's eyes, they will squint. If you have the sun elsewhere it will wind up making their face dark and everything else will appear washed out. (such as in the first shot)

If you're going to be outdoors in bright light, get yourself a circular polarizer. It cuts down glare and helps saturate colors.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

If you're not using a flash for fill, you shouldn't be shooting with the subject's back to the sun. Everything behind them will be exposed and they will be underexposed.

Ok, lets see...

First off for clothing, it's generally the best if you can have the people you're photographing to be wearing relatively muted tones, solid colors, and no patterns. Also, it's also usually helpful to have the whole shoulder covered, it helps people look more trim (not necessarily a problem for her... but, in general)

1. well, the bright sky is rather distracting on the background, and there is a fair amount of CA around her hair which I also find distracting. Also, I don't know what it is about her eyes in this photo but they just don't look right, maybe they aren't entirely sharp or something I dunno...

2. not too bad... here the thing I would try to avoid is the harsh shadows, and dark light dark pattern on her skin. Also, this is difficult because her face is dark in the photo and thus attention is not as focused on the face as it should be.

3. probably my favorite... again the eyes look a bit off, maybe a tad soft. and this is again where some shade would be helpful (oh man... I love cloudy days though... you can take photos practically anywhere)

4. pretty good shot... only things I would suggest changing. on the bottom left corner there is a little piece of skin showing, which is somewhat distracting. Also, her right eye looks a little funky in this photo, here if you had been able to have her looking a little farther away from the photo so you didn't have that eye in the shot (hidden by the nose) or more directly towards you it probably would have helped.

5. oy, those are some scary eyes. well, to be honest, I'm not a huge fan of that pose, but it works I guess... at least it's obvious she shaves.

overall not bad at all... I'm just giving this feedback for help on future sessions... just my 0.02 your mileage may vary

I have been very worried about lighting and yall have given me some very good advice, thank you.

Most reactions

Back