CRiTiCiSM--HoWDOYoU-hANDLeiT?

abraxas

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Do you handle criticism like I do; run to your room, leap onto the bed and sob into a pillow?

Sometimes I like to take it personal and internalize it. Take it out on the pets maybe and stuff it way down inside so no one knows what on earth my 'problem', is.

A lot of the time I wonder why everyone except the people that have to sleep in the same house as me, have such a miserable concept of 'art', and lack of understanding beauty.

Occasionally, I learn from it-

???

I like criticism as much as I like my dentist.

I would personally rather see someone take my picture and fix it, than to give a laundry list of things that are wrong with it.

When I give critique, I try to do two things. Point out weaknesses in the image if I see them, but also explain how to fix it. Telling you how to avoid doing it again shouldn't be necessary, if you see the problem. If the problem can be fixed, you learn two things.

Not to do it again..

And how to fix it if you do.

A good solid image should not be tossed because it isn't perfect. It should be saved if possible and a lot of them can be.

Lastly I posted an image on a different critique only forem. I got about ten comments. Most were realistic and I even had to agree after some thought. One was so far out of the ballpark I actually laughed.

So remember the people giving you the critique might not have a full loan on board either. Try to find out who they are before you give them too much weight. By the way I looked at his images and they were mediocre by MY standards lol.

Criticism of my work is just evidence that the critic can't understand my artistic genius. ;)

Everyone has different tastes and styles and most don't understand each other's view on art - so when they give their "criticism" it's mostly pokes at your style against theirs and what they would do to the picture to make it fit their style.

For me I don't mind criticism, if the criticiser doesn't push their point to where it's their way or the highway. It gives me a chance to stand back and look at their style against mine. Sometimes I like the different view and i'll tweak my style in that specific area then again sometimes I don't agree or don't care for that style and I ignore it.

It really depends on how that criticizer comes off. If they're forceful and rude or if they just share their own taste....

Criticism is my favourite....i dont mind anyone criticizing me as long as they provide a good objective reason why, and allow me to criticize on their comment with my own logic....but most of the time....ppl just cant stand me and give up...lol

i dont mind anyone criticizing me as long as they provide a good objective reason why, and allow me to criticize on their comment with my own logic....
I feel the same way. There's a photographer I know that also teaches at the university level. He can be rather harsh, as he doesn't temper his critiques, but he is one of my favorite people to have critique my work. I know I won't be getting a snow job. I just keep in mind that it's one person's opinion from one point of view. Sometimes I agree with him and sometimes I don't, but when I don't, it forces me to have a reason why.

In my view, there's a difference between a critique and offering encouragement. When people are starting out, they mostly need encouragement with some critique sprinkled in. After they get more confidence, then the ratio can go the other way 'round.

It sounds like you are looking more for encouragement. That's perfectly valid, but you just have to keep that in mind when you approach people, otherwise it can be painful. If you are more hoping someone likes your work, you're looking for encouragement. If you are more hoping to find ways to improve, you are looking for a critique.

I feel the same way. There's a photographer I know that also teaches at the university level. He can be rather harsh, as he doesn't temper his critiques, but he is one of my favorite people to have critique my work. I know I won't be getting a snow job. I just keep in mind that it's one person's opinion from one point of view. Sometimes I agree with him and sometimes I don't, but when I don't, it forces me to have a reason why.

In my view, there's a difference between a critique and offering encouragement. When people are starting out, they mostly need encouragement with some critique sprinkled in. After they get more confidence, then the ratio can go the other way 'round.

It sounds like you are looking more for encouragement. That's perfectly valid, but you just have to keep that in mind when you approach people, otherwise it can be painful. If you are more hoping someone likes your work, you're looking for encouragement. If you are more hoping to find ways to improve, you are looking for a critique.

yes markc....i look at critique as a way to understand subject matters better.....if there is no critique...there would be no reason to understand further.....so i treat them all positivly...but of course....there are times ppl just give you subjective criticism without any logically meaning....those i dont like......is like.....they give you a comment....and then you ask them why....they say....i dotn know...i just feel this way...."BS"

i'm probably my harshest critic anyway, so usually i'm not surprised by what people say... Everyone has a right to express their opinion, one can only hope that they do it constructively and respectfully. If it's a mean spirited critique like, "my monkey takes better photos than you," - I just ignore them, and hold out for the general consensus. If the general consensus all agrees, then I would definitely try to keep an open mind to the criticism.

Someone may have already mentioned this in here, but I couldn't find it to quote. It also depends a lot on who is doing the crticising. I have a lot of respect for the talent on TPF, if it someone well known and respected is doing the criticising, then I make sure to keep my ears open.

Constructive criticism done correctly will help a person grow and learn. Criticism done incorrectly can be destructive and serves no purpose. Everybody on this forum is at different stages in their photography and sometimes it seems it's hard for others to realize that. Any forum should be a place to learn. People who are harsh and uncaring in their criticism go down as jerks in my book.

Isn't it amazing that you could post a photo, get 100 great attaboys and have one person say one negative thing about it and what do you remember. It's human nature to not like criticism but if done correctly, look and listen to what they are saying.

I don't mind someone being critical of my work if they tell me how to do it better. I do mind it if someone is being critical of my style of work. Everyone is different and that difference is what makes the world such an interesting place.

I don't mind someone being critical of my work if they tell me how to do it better. I do mind it if someone is being critical of my style of work. Everyone is different and that difference is what makes the world such an interesting place.

Yes but don't crawl into a corner and hide behind it's my style man. You don't learn when you do. What you do then is cut yourself off from learning. A style isn't a single photograph. A style is a body of work. If a single photograph doesn't work and there are good reasons presented as to why it doesn't, and if your only response is, "It's just my style man." Then maybe you should take a look at your style.

When I first came here I expected honest critique but saw way more atta boys than I thought was good for people. I still think so but......

I can see where strong critique without a constructive you could have, or should have, to a new photographer is a killer. So I don't do many critiques. Now and then I bored and do one, or I get asked by someone in a pm to take a look at something they did. I am flattered when I do the latter. I try to be as informative as possible either way.

And always try to mention I am NOT a digital photographer so many of the things I see would never be mentioned by a 'modern' photographer. What I think is sad is the number of people who want critique but who say my work is not okay to edit. Example is the best way to lean. It's how I was taught and I'm sure plenty of others were as well.

I dislike critiques, although individuals do have interesting insights at times. I figure I am my own worst critic. I try to give some detached thought to what has been said, change what I think my be worth a try, and let the rest go back as individual preferences that might seem more comprehensible and applicable or adaptable at a later time.

Rusty Tripod

I like to be critized. I already understand that i have many areas in which to grow, and I welcome the help. The harder the better. You have to expect it when you show people then it dosent hurt so bad. :D

People who criticize because they are in a bad mood annoy me.

People who take time out of their lives to help me, I appreciate.

Here is a great article on how to criticize. It's on another board and you might have to sign up to see it- I don't know- but it's free to sign up if you do.

http://www.prophotoforum.com/ppf/index.php?topic=1707.0

BTW, the guy that wrote if seems to be quite a Hoot! And an old timer to boot.

mike

I love critiques of my of my work. I think they are extremely important. Good or bad we need other perspectives and views to help us grow. Now when someone says cool or that shot stinks; that is slightly ignorant. Folks should say; that shot is cool because... or that shot stinks because...

Personally I get disappointed when my work gets 86 views or whatever and one comment. I mean let's talk out there people. That is why I have all but stopped posting my photos.

Written English - How do you handle it?

Not too well apparently.

Anyway, criticism is one of the most powerful tools. Coming from the writing field before photography, nothing anyone has said to me in photography can even come close to the evil responses you can get back from an editor.

Either way, you use it. Always use the "trim the fat" method when it comes to critiques, and what I mean is get to the MEAT of what the person was trying to say, and work on that. Don't concentrate on the little, sometimes snary, comments you can receieve, but instead work on the largest part of what they percieve (sp?) as the problem.

Furthermore, photography is an artform, and like all art, it's subjective. Different people will see different things. Especially in a visual medium like photos, because visual items trigger memories and emotions second only to smells. If the person viewing had a terrible experience once involving something mundane, say pennies, and your picture has pennies lying on the group the person maybe predispositioned to not like that work.

If someone blasts me in every way, and it's happened, even in photos, I just take my work elsewhere.

Also, I've said this before, but if anyone wants the HARSHEST critiques ever on their photos go see the pros at www.eatpoo.com Scroll to the photography section and post some pictures. They INSISIT on a border and signature however, so do that first. And be prepared.

Goodluck!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back