CRiTiCiSM--HoWDOYoU-hANDLeiT?

"The word 'art' is very slippery. It really has no importance in relation to one's work. I work for the pleasure, for the pleasure of the work, and everything else is a matter for the critics." -Manuel Alvarez Bravo

I welcome criticism. Like most people, I’d prefer knowledgeable criticism, but I see it as an honor that someone took the time to comment. It’s a chance to make progress. I know that criticism, especially online where there’s no body language or tone of voice etc. to help, can be taken as hurtful and cause anger.

But I think that our reaction to criticism depends on what’s in our heart when we receive it, rather than what’s in the sender’s heart when they write it.

I think I have a thick enough skin for critizism.
Actually I'm not yet on a stage where I post pictures expecting people to say "wonderful!" I post them expecting critizism.

No replies and 86 views, like craig said is a complete downer on the other hand. It's like "your pics are so bad I won't even take time to tell you why"

Also like craig, I have right now no interest in taking more pictures and posting them. I'll wait a while and try later.

What I find funny, though, is that the critique forum has very strict rules to ask for critizism, but not for the critizism itself.
Someone can ask for the colors in a photo to be evaluated and get answers like "change your composition" or even worse, "get a macro lens".

I like criticism too. The point is to learn more. To be shown how to see things from a viewpoint other than one's own is sometimes eye-opening.

Occasionally, I think it is acceptable to just say: "I don't care for that/those picture(s)." Sometimes, they are not even close enough to good that one can tactfully suggest improvements.

I like to think I can take it and learn from it!

But I can't! :lol:

I just look at the picture again, and say "no you're wrong!"

Hopefully though, as I'm starting to take this more seriously, I'll learn and remember the criticism!

I actually love criticism! It helps me become a better photographer. The more the better!

What I hate is when somebody just says, "oh, that's great".

I get critiqued twice a week. After I complete internship assignments, the pro I work with looks at my photos so that we can discuss what to keep.

For my advanced photojournalism class, the entire group (varying degrees of experience there) sits down and looks at each individual image.

Then there's my dad, who I sometimes compete with.

Even National Geographic photographers get critiqued. The perfect image does not exist, so all I can do is gain experience and know how, as only others know what THEY want to see.

EDIT: What actually annoys me most was suggested earlier. The editors for my university paper aren't even critics, if you shoot an image, they will probably use it. I would be willing to use very few of the pictures I've taken so far in an actual portfolio - then again I've only been taking pictures for about 1 month of this semester.

This may not be the best way but I try to see (and mostly do) what they're saying. If I simply cannot see the fault they are pointing out. Or see how their advice will benefit me. I ignore it, but keep it in the back of my mind to TRY and fix to see if I would like the results.

I'm with Walter.
I bury my face in the pillow and cry! :cry:
And cry and cry.

Yes.

Mostly about total non-starters where I have to wrestle for comments by coming back and back again to bump my photos without saying "Bump".
So I do prefer ANY sort of critique that is spoken in the way of COMMUNICATION with me to total silence. I am not against praise, mind you. Gives me this :goodvibe: warm glow inside, and tell me who there is out there that doesn't like this feeling. Eh? Eh?

So there.

We best love encouragement.

But I am not against learning that the eye looks along an image the opposite way that we read, i.e. from right to left, while I had thought that also a photo that leads our gaze from left to right like writing would be good. It is not ... it goes against the way we look. So I learned, for example. On here.

"Wow, great shot", however, is neither critique in any way nor communication. So again I will go and bury my face in the pillow and cry :cry:

:wink:

:biggrin:

(And for those who still don't get it: part of what I said is said with tongue in cheek, part is not, now it is up to you to filter out which is what?)

It depends what is being criticized and who is doing it. If I'm looking to get better at something and someone is thoughtful enough to tell me what I might do to improve, I'm all ears. It's really a way to get better at something.

If I feel it was done with malice or spite, then I wouldn't take it so well. If someone completely ripped me a part, I would probably not take it well either. I often get defensive, and the "best defense is a good offense". Just an instinct built into me I guess.

I enjoy positive comments, even "that looks great" ones as long as they are genuine. I don't want to be serviced by someone to bring up my ego, even if it's because she loves me. :)

Actually I'm not so thin-skinned as portrayed at the beginning of the thread. I usually learn from good criticism- if I listen.

Last fall I paid a sack of money for a three day photography seminar with a really great photographer. We went out shooting in the morning, edited our photos and critiqued them in the afternoon. The first day I received outstanding reviews- I could do no wrong.

The next day, well, nothing came out right. I caught it all. One really sweet lady could see my suffering and said a few good things- but I could tell it was shallow.

The last day went okie-dokie and flew under the radar, neither good or bad.

The gut-wrenching review is the one I learned the most from and hopefully has made me a better photographer the good stuff?- Well, that helps, but I don't think about it as much.

Back on the forum here, the source has to be considered. There's some very talented people here. There's some other kind too. And there's even an other kind. Folks you sort of like, as like typing-pals or friends. The closer you get the harder it is to give and get valid criticism.

Sometimes I wonder what the galleries here are all about. For me, sometimes the galleries are about different things on different days.

Sometimes I just want to pin a picture somewhere besides my refrigerator.

Sometimes I'd like to know, does my shirt stink?- Unlike a shirt (the shirt answer may be obvious), why does it stink?

Honestly, at least in my fantasies, I'd like to know why you find my shots(s) the best you've ever seen in your life and why you've forsaken photography because the bar has been raised so far... (blah, blah, blah-... ad nauseum).

I'm beginning to understand the forum a little better after the last six months of hanging out. I like it, I have fun. I've gotten some advice and cristicism both good and bad. I still have to figure things out for myself. That's fine though.

I agree totally with LaFoto. How many ways can "bump" be spelled?

Personally, "you suck" would be cool occasionally, if it were followed by; "because..."

I'm starting to see non-response as the epitomy of mediocrity. The nether-world of averageness and the hump of the curve. If I find out why I suck, maybe I can hit a few 'over the fence.' Occasionally, maybe 'out of the park' (American phrases). At least I'm better than I was. Looking over the last dozen years of my work on a daily basis- I used to be on the wrong side of the curve way more often. Improving feels good.
:thumbup:

What I'll probably do is take some considered valid criticism I recieved regarding a recent post and apply it. Maybe I'll get better-maybe not.

I hate people who criticize my work just to say something,
I absolutely love people who take the time to let me know how to improve.

Most of all, I love the people who leave comments on my photoblog, "Great picture." Even things like that make me feel good about my pictures.

Most reactions

Back