Criticize my most recent photoshoot

Bryant

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey so I posted yesterday about getting tips on using hotlights for a photoshoot portrait and here is the results!

finalkimmerle.jpg

I did a shoot for an up and coming ski apparel company based in Burlington Vermont and now moving out west to Boulder Colorado. Feel free to check out their site AR§ENIC APPAREL 09|10 - Home as these pictures are for their new product line that is going up for preorders within the next few days.

Cheers!

Ok, I checked the link, because I wanted to see more of this crazy ski apparel.

Yo, welcome to the site!
Arsenic Apparel, that's the name. This is our first year, so we are gonna keep the operation small. Its just two kids from UVM tryna make some fly t-shirts to rock on and off the mountain. Tall Tees and Regular Tees will be available. We have design ideas coming out the dome like rhymes from the Wu so expect some options. Also, if you have some suggestions feel free to hit us up with your ideas whether its a color you are looking for or whatever else.

Ok, aside from that [insert adjective here] introduction which made me LMAO. T-shirts. That's it? T-shirts?

The model looks fat (not with a 'ph') and pear shaped, which is the last thing your customers want to look like. The lighting seems pretty harsh. This has the effect of making the doods face look deformed and rather off putting. Not good if you want people to buy this stuff.

You might want to look into optimizing your website as well, http://www.bryanthughesphotography.com/ took forever to load, so I clicked away.

Last edited:
I didn't grasp why he was holding his jacket open at first. I guess I figured it was to show off all three items....shirt, jacket, and pants. But if all they are selling is t-shirts, I don't know if this is effective.

This photo needs a lot of work before it should be put into any sales/advertising position. It makes me really really not want to own any of the clothes that guy is wearing.

Things to work on:

-Lighting
-Pose of model
-Background (floor in particular)
-Rest of clothing/apparel

his body looks weird for sure...
In my opinion if you don't have a studio/real studio equipment....
like a seamless in particular
Why not just try to go outside and use open shade in some cool urban spots vs what you have going on there...although im not sure the best photographer in the world would make that t-shirt look attractive lol

The perspective might have looked better from a bottom-right angle? The shadow on his neck made his face look really long. To my eye, that made those pants legs look really short. That could have been the style of wearing them too far down on his hips. Kinda throws the dimensions off from first-glance.

Quote:Yo, welcome to the site!
Arsenic Apparel, that's the name. This is our first year, so we are gonna keep the operation small. Its just two kids from UVM tryna make some fly t-shirts to rock on and off the mountain. Tall Tees and Regular Tees will be available. We have design ideas coming out the dome like rhymes from the Wu so expect some options. Also, if you have some suggestions feel free to hit us up with your ideas whether its a color you are looking for or whatever else.

Yo, bro, photos look like Arsenic, which is deadly poison,bro. Your weak photos will keep you small, fer sure. it looks like two kids, tryna' make some coin for some sticky icky. You need more than design ideas comin' out' th dome--you need ideas INSIDE the dome bro, know what I'm saying? Fer realz. Hit you up with ideas? howza bout getting to some slopes--shoot the pics on the slopes bro, not on a sheet from ya Momz bed. Out! (And stay off the pipe till the shoot's over and ya back at the crib, ya know what I'm sayin'?)

all ya'll giving fashion advice right now is like an american giving a kiwi tips on how to play rugby. you don't understand the culture and that is fine, so just lay off the critique of the clothing and help out with question asked, which was about photography.

man Id say get rid of the sheet, keep the poses simple (as is) and keep the background simple. you're selling apparel, take a leaf out of the american apparel style - they keep it simple and colourful. simple starightforward communication is best in this situation.

oh and Derrel my man, good work on the sarcasm broski - keeping it all american as usual.

all ya'll giving fashion advice right now is like an american giving a kiwi tips on how to play rugby. you don't understand the culture and that is fine, so just lay off the critique of the clothing and help out with question asked, which was about photography.

man Id say get rid of the sheet, keep the poses simple (as is) and keep the background simple. you're selling apparel, take a leaf out of the american apparel style - they keep it simple and colourful. simple starightforward communication is best in this situation.

oh and Derrel my man, good work on the sarcasm broski - keeping it all american as usual.
What is this suppose to mean?

Baggy ski clothing? This looks dangerous to wear on the slopes....oh wait? He's just modeling the shirt? Then maybe he should just be wearing...the shirt? Which also looks dangerous for sports. But that is my opinion, and I'm entitled to have it.

The photo itsself....looks awful. The lighting is harsh, he's got these shadows distorting his face, and the background....I think you could have worked a little harder on your background. His pose reminds me of the little boy who gets wrapped in layers of bubble wrap from "A Christmas Story", very akward. Some props might help, but I think you need to focus on having shots that would represent an athlete, or at least, some street homie trying to look like an athlete, if that's what the Arsenic label is going for.

Can we give business advice? You know, one business man to another?

oh and Derrel my man, good work on the sarcasm broski - keeping it all American as usual.

You don't like clothing critique, but you SLAM America. (BTW, you forgot to capitalize it.. I fixed it for ya)
I like American sarcasm. You guys need to buy helmets, you're way too sensitive.
Your user name fits you.

_

Opinions on the content of the photo aside thsi thing needs alot of work. The background for this type of item is completely inappropriate. I agree with the poster that suggested this kind of thing would be better shot in some outdoor location, possibly something urban or even near a ski slope. A white background with a wrinkled sheet on the ground does nothing for the clothing and I think it has done alot to elicit the previous posts as the out of place nature of his expression and pose stands out when there is no context. I also think if you want to accentuate the shirt your model might want to take off his bibs as it gives him that "pear shape" that others have referred to. I understand folding it down to show the entire shirt but the puffiness just makes him look fat.

Most reactions

Back