Critique and help appeciated

seamus14

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I took this shot pretty late at night and had to do it without a tripod. I used the on camera flash so I could use a fast enough shutter to not have any shake. So... what would have been the ideal way to take this shot and what else could have been done to make it better.

Thanks

spider.jpg

Well you used F/10 and 1/200th of a second with ISO 100. For low light photography without a flash you can use your lowest F number (F/1.8 in your case if I am reading the exif correctly), you could probably slow your shutter speed down to 1/50th of a second if your hand is pretty steady, and increase the ISO.

Well you used F/10 and 1/200th of a second with ISO 100. For low light photography without a flash you can use your lowest F number (F/1.8 in your case if I am reading the exif correctly), you could probably slow your shutter speed down to 1/50th of a second if your hand is pretty steady, and increase the ISO.

I started out using 1.8 but then began stepping up as I was not getting everything i wanted in focus. I was not thinking of ISO when I shot this, thanks. Maybe if he's around I will try to slow my shutter down and increase my ISO. I probably didn't have to go as small as I did, he was wrapping the insect so I was hurrying to get a decent shot. Thanks for the info.

I think overall, it is a pretty neat shot! It gave me the chills! I like it!

The problem with shooting macro at a large aperture is loss of DOF. If you are up close, figure you will need at least f11 or f13 for these little critters to start with -- f10 seemed to work for you. I drove myself nuts shooting butterflies until I figured that one out. You made the right move using flash ... a tripod would help you too immeasurably with the macro stuff.

You did well! Keep shooting!

I love the photo! It almost looks like he's wrapping a cigarette butt... darn us smokers with one track minds. I think you did a great job and it's either 'cause I'm new or never done macro but I can't find anything I would change.

Sorry for my ignorance, but how do you people know what settings he used?

we're psychic ninjas...

actually, every photo that's been saved properly or taken straight out of the camera has "EXIF" data that includes exposure time, aperture, ISO speed, date and time, flash, and focal length. to view this you can either get an EXIF viewer (free) or if you have firefox there is an extension called EXIF viewer that lets you right click a photo and then you click "view exif data"

Oh, thanks.
I knew about the existence of that EXIF thing, I just didn't know how to see it... Downloading the FF extension right now :thumbup::thumbup:

Most reactions

Back