Critique away at my first attempt!

zing

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
This is a pic of rij, one of my best mates when we were out bush one afternoon, it was about 40 degree celsius in country victoria, just near where Ned Kelly had a shoot out with the police. So, in line with the title, this is one of my first valid attempts at a portait... be brutal.

IMG_0893.jpg

Welcome zing!
I like it. Like the lower point perspective and the fill to soften the shadows seems well balanced. Maybe the crop could be less tight...is this a crop? I don't mind the crop at all myself but some may be bothered by the chopped off chin. Nice sharp shot and good DOF. :D

little too close for comfort for me. Also being a landscape instead of a portrait is a little weird...it being a portrait.

Having said that, rules are meant to be broken in photography, so if you like it, then that's your thing.

I'd have to agree - the chin and the tight crop are just a little hard on the eyes for me. I do like your tones and soft shadows though - just would like to see it panned out a wee bit :)

To be critical, I'd say it's too close - there are too many things poking out of frame which don't look intentional. Also, his expression is a little forced - looks like he'd been holding a smile for too long!

There are plenty of good things though - the neutrality of the background, sharpness, depth-of-field usage etc. all good!

Rob

too close, crops on the chin and top of the head aren't visually pleasing.

was this a surprise shot? he looks surprised. perhaps a more candid subject will work better. i agree good DOF, but you can't see enough of it.

I like the clear focus on the eyes, and there are catchlights there. I also like your use of fill flash--the lighting on the whole face seems just right. Agree that it's too close, though.

Most reactions

Back