Critique - Composition, Saturation

JustAMom

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
please feel free to critique the photograph over all, but I seem to have a problem wit oversaturating my photos or undersaturating them. this was (i think) a lucky shot. but a lot of times people dont like the "head cut off" which is why im also asking your input on the composition

this is all i did:
first i lightened the pictures exposude cuz it was so dark
then auto contrast, unsharp mask, and added a little glow to the highlights
(and of couse that border and tag)

i like the composition. I dont mind the 'cut off' look.

I think that the blown highlights on the shirt are a little distracting, but it kind of goes with the overall lighting in the shot.

Nice shot.

thank you! that is why i loved this photo, becaus i did not edit the eyes at all. it really shows off my sons unique eye color. and also, there were lots of orange and green and fushia plants all around.. those reflected in his eyes as well. the lighting was poor. lots of shade, the sun was behind him... factors i cant change now, but I thought despite all that the photo turned out to my liking. in a way, i kind of like the lighting, but i think that is because I was there. I took the shot, and its my son... so the lighting to me adds to the memory of the moment. photographly speaking though, i undersant this kind of lighting isnt ideal

I really like the oversaturated look, though. Now, I'm not saying that THIS photo is overly saturated, but I think it was saturated enough to have that deep color "pop" to make it stand out. The cut-off look of the head is just fine, you were sticking to the 1/3 rule, and I think overall a great composition. The only thing of my own that I would have done differently would have been to lighten slightly some of the shadowing on the face, especially around the "eye" area. Doing this in Photoshop and / or with a good filter set like from AutoFX, or just using a mild fill-flash outdoors (or even a white reflector) would be great, too. Of course, then you'd need someone to hold it for you, unless you are very talented!

Great shot!

Derek, if you dont mind could you explain to me how to lighten the shadows in photoshop? that is something I have never been able to figure out! Would appreciate your input on that!!

I think this is a lovely shot, and really have no comments to add to the above other than an echo of I don't think it's oversaturated (or under) and I don't mind the cut-off. :)

so which version is best? or should i just leave it?

Great shot... IMO the photo is great! His eyes are so cool... adorable little boy.

I think the colors in it are Great! That's what really grabs my attention. Very cool eyes indeed!

I love it. I really like a lot of saturation for the most part, so I dont find that to be a problem. Also, the blown highlights dont bother me because the eyes have such a magical look that I am drawn away from the shirt.

Very nice.

His amazing eyes steal the show. Awesome shot!

Most reactions

Back