Critique me?

Galaxy_Stranger

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Ok, guys. I had a vision of what I wanted, and I came close. I want to know what it is about this shot that makes it not work. There's color, there's contrast, but this is just not a great photo.

sunset.jpg

Critique me?

Oh. You have a photo posted. :wink: (jk)

I personally like the photo, but wonder how it would look cropped also.

Cropping horizontally just above the irregularity in the tree trunk, and cropping vertically to leave the overhang of the hut but not the chair, etc.

I think it would give the pic a bit more intimacy, as well as imply living on the beach in a small grass hut.

I found the frame of the tree, ground, and unbrella a little interesting, but it ended up making everything outside of it seem extra. This crop may seem extreme. Unfortunately think the chair still gets in the way and distracts from the couple.

IMG_0300-mod1.jpg

I'm not sure what works the best for me. If I chop the chair out completely, it's a little tight and then makes the overhang distracting.

IMG_0300-mod2.jpg

Bingo.

You're both right on. It lacked the intimacy. I think I'll just get rid of that damn chair anyway, heh. I was thinking that the tree and the hut, (actually just a thin table for drinks with a roof), would frame it but just didn't work out. I think the roof's to valuable for atmosphere to lose.

Any thoughts on exposure? Is there anything you would have done differently? I see all these wonderful crisp shots here. Please tell me it's not all Photoshop.

sunset4.jpg

Galaxy_Stranger said:
but this is just not a great photo.

I like the original image you posted, but I think your cropped version with some of the tree also works.

It's a very good photo, and sometimes you'll have to settle for that. I think that the couple in the photo might think it was a great photo.

That's exactly what I was talking about, Stranger. I think that shot is just gorgeous! It really has a story to tell, imo.

As far as exposure, it looks pretty good. In these type situations, it's probably best to bracket very heavily, if possible. I'd say take at least 5 shots: +2, +1, 0, -1,-2 stops. Maybe even +/-3 stops just for good measure. Meter for the lady's face, or as close to that as possible, then bracket.

On good quality film, you'll be surprised how many of those shots are gonna be useful. Of course, one will be your favorite, but I have seen portraits done on Kodak Portra 160 NC bracketed to +/- 2, and all 5 shots were very nice.

Yeah, I don't think bracketing changes the exposure enough to change my mind, so I just avoid it. If I have 3 images that are CLOSE - I can never decide which one I want.

Thanks for all the input, guys. It's really given me a lot to think about. Which is mostly to try to see the scene in every possible way. I had the shot in my head, and it turned out to be not so hot. If I had kept thinking about the scene, I may have come up with that last version.

But, I panicked - I had only about 5 minutes to get it and I ended up taking a couple dozen shots up to that time, following the sun down and changing the exposure as it went. So, I've got 50 shots that are un-usable and literally TWO that were any good. This one was definitely the best. The next day I shot a couple more that, compositionally came out better, but I didn't like the exposure as much.

What film were you using and where did you take it (to be developed)? Bracketing does work but unfortunately most one hour type places will try to fix or average every print so that you don't see much difference. Check the negatives to see if there is more of a difference.

If you use slide film...bracketing by even 1/3 stops will make a difference and what you shoot is what you get...with no interference from the developer.

I think it's a great shot by the way. The exposure is great because the silhouette is just about perfect.

There is still a lot of black at the bottom that I don't think really adds to the image. It throws the balance off for me.

I think you hit it with your crop, GS. I wasn't so keen about you both being in the middle at first so I avoided it with mine, but after looking at it again, I think it works.

IMHO there are too many subjects in the frame. Ask yourself what is this a photo off? the couple, the tree, the cabana, after you decide frame the photo accordingly, there is equal emphasis on all three subjects in your photo hence, no intimacy.

Thanks Mark. Yeah, the chair had to go, heheh.
I like BP22Hot's version, too. But I agree there's too much on the bottom. Prolly a little too much sky, too. It would make a sweet 6x6 image.

The subject is, of course, the couple. But you can cheat and include the sunset in there. An element isn't necessarily a subject. When shooting outdoors, I try to take natural objects and use them frame the image. The tree and the hut thingy were meant to do that. If we zoom in on just the couple, half the atmosphere disappears and looks pretty plain to me.

I shot this using a Canon A80 4megapixel digital cam. I'm very impressed with this little camera. It lets you go fully manual with a reasonable amount of resources - ISO, ect. As I remember, I had it set for 200.

Processing is half my problem. I only send my stuff out to a lab when I'm getting paid for it, or if it's real special. The rest of the time I take it to the quicky lab. I think from here on out, I'll start experimenting with slides and just send everything to a pro lab. I wish I could find a good one locally, though.

Anybody know of a good lab in Houston?

Most reactions

Back