Critique my gallery please? HHCC needed

Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all. Was just wondering if someone could check out my gallery here:
http://www.freewebs.com/kellylindseyphotography/apps/photos/album.jsp?albumID=223395

Thats the current cream of the crop for me. So suggestions, tips, hard critiquing is welcome. I'd specifically like advice on which photos immediatly stand out as not professional so I can rid them. Also, which stand out as excellent and maybe reordering them to put the very best in the front, etc.

Thanks!

I like it, very nice.
Photo 7 is my fav.
2 quick things I thought of,
The floating butterfly takes away from you as the photographer.
The comment area is nice, but if your planning on using this to sell, you may want to moderate all comments or remove that option, reason being,
you have someone in your gallery looking to buy a photo, they look down and see some ones critique on it, may turn them off. Just a thought.

I love all the pictures you have put up there. There are 3 that I am not sure if i like them there or not. They are the 3 that all have an adult in the picture. This is not saying that I dis-like those pictures its just that they seem like they shouldn't be there. I think you lose focus of the children in those pictures instead of drawing focus to them. The rest of the photos are awesome though!:thumbup: This is just my lowly opinion but I hope it helped.

I read your 1st blog - amazing!! I'm starting my first business as well and it's amazing!! I loved your site and hope mine will work out (if I can ever figure out how to make one)

Anyway, jut one question...exactly how do you do your borders and logo...I've been working with mine and can't get it quite right or thick!!

Thanks!

I like your site. Where did you find that page template if you don't mind me asking.

Hi Thanks for replying
I do my borders and logo in photoshop. I just increase the canvas size by 1 inch on height and width. Then I just type my name with a certain font that I downloaded that I found for free on the net.

The page template is one of the free ones offered with freewebs.com.

There are a lot of problems with your shots, but my perspective is different from the rest. In my market, the rates are 3 to 5 times what yours are, so the expectations are different.

skieur

There are a lot of problems with your shots, but my perspective is different from the rest. In my market, the rates are 3 to 5 times what yours are, so the expectations are different.

skieur

I appreciate that- I'm just starting out.

I'd still love to hear your opinion- I can only improve if I'm told what to improve on :)

I appreciate that- I'm just starting out.

I'd still love to hear your opinion- I can only improve if I'm told what to improve on :)

As a beginner, you are starting out in a tough area in trying to do candid shots of children. I have crawled around on the floor in kindergarten classrooms shooting and have even had kids trip over me. Concentrating on framing, watching the background, settings, getting the shot, all at the same time is a challenge even for photographers with lots of experience.
So, no one gets its perfect, but everyone needs to recognize what could have been done better.

In the area of composition, the eyes are the most important part of any portrait. They need to be visible, bright, in sharp focus, and some level of eye colour should be brought out. There are a number of approaches to doing this. Shoot on a bright but cloudy day. On a sunny day, shoot in the shade. Use a reflector or fill flash with a careful level of underexposure so the light is not too harsh. Use a slightly higher ISO which will reduce contrast somewhat. Fake it, as in I have had kids play with a parachute or large bed sheet because it reflects light well into their faces.

The eyes should NOT be looking out of the picture because that takes the eyes of the viewer out of the picture and away from the centre of interest. The viewer should also be able to see what the child is looking at, so a curious infant and a dog looking at each other or at the same toy makes a great shot.

In framing a child that is not close, the direction of the child is important.
There should be more space in front of the child, then behind. "Leave room for the child to move forward." is another way of putting it. Some shots also would be better in portrait (up and down) format rather than landscape(horizontal).

Covered a few things, which I hope is helpful.

skieur

Skieur, great advice. I'll take care to remember that. If you'd like to PM me in more detail about which shots I should dump or a more harsh CC, I welcome it.

I have started lately to really watch the direction of the eyes. It is something, after 8 years of shooting children, that I have suddenly had *click* in my head. The other day, I was causally shooting a friends child at the park and he was sitting on this big chair eating some grapes. Perfect because he was occupied, yet sitting still.

I sat on the ground at eye level for nearly 1/2 hour watching his eyes and moving just slightly around him to arrange for good catchlights or him to look directly at the camera. I only got 2 good shots, but I think they were decent in terms of expression and eye focus.

Also, I find that my lens is limiting how sharp the eyes are. I find myself spending a lot of time in post processing trying to get those perfectly sharp eyes (when I know my exposure AND focus WAS perfect) and the only thing being left to explain it is my kit lens not being as good as a prime would be.

I have the prime open in anotehr window right now and it's a goal I'm looking at in the following month. I have $30 in paypal right now, I just need fifty more. I'm excited to work towards it by selling my pictures to fund this and know that my hard work payed off for it.

Again, thanks for your time and suggestions. I really appreciate them.

Skieur, great advice. I'll take care to remember that. If you'd like to PM me in more detail about which shots I should dump or a more harsh CC, I welcome it.

I have started lately to really watch the direction of the eyes. It is something, after 8 years of shooting children, that I have suddenly had *click* in my head. The other day, I was causally shooting a friends child at the park and he was sitting on this big chair eating some grapes. Perfect because he was occupied, yet sitting still.

I sat on the ground at eye level for nearly 1/2 hour watching his eyes and moving just slightly around him to arrange for good catchlights or him to look directly at the camera. I only got 2 good shots, but I think they were decent in terms of expression and eye focus.

Also, I find that my lens is limiting how sharp the eyes are. I find myself spending a lot of time in post processing trying to get those perfectly sharp eyes (when I know my exposure AND focus WAS perfect) and the only thing being left to explain it is my kit lens not being as good as a prime would be.

I have the prime open in anotehr window right now and it's a goal I'm looking at in the following month. I have $30 in paypal right now, I just need fifty more. I'm excited to work towards it by selling my pictures to fund this and know that my hard work payed off for it.

Again, thanks for your time and suggestions. I really appreciate them.
I'm saving up with you! hehe! I want the 50mm f/1.4! I have almost enough...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back