critique my picture please ?:)

shareefy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
ive tried my hand at advertising. This is the first time ive tried it and know nothing other than pure instinct. Id be ever grateful for opinions on my attempt.
goldfinger is the name of a mandarin company lol. i was just eating one and then started to pile the skins on each other and thought it could then make a good picture...:D

goldfinger.jpg

original
goldfinger2.jpg

This is missing something, The logo out of focus is distracting and does not make me want to eat an orange.
I would try to get some of orange in the picture. The peel is not something that would meke me want an orange, no matter what logo is on it.

I don't understand what these two photos try to say. What is the subject matter?

Regards
Leigh

The last thing in any advertising shot that a company would want out of focus is their logo. But in 99% of cases the logo would be added in the design process, not in the photo.

Torus34 said:
Don't give up your day job just yet.

wow! thanks for that! your advice has been so useful with helping me to improve!!!

yeah. that was uncalled for. anyway, i really like your concept here. yes the logo needs to be in focus but i think the idea is good!

The smaller the aperture is (The bigger aperture #), the greater the depth of field is. In this case, a smaller aperture (like F16) will probably fix the out-of-focus logo problem. But if you want the logo in focus but the backgrouns out of focus, then adjust your focus to be on the logo instead.

F1.4 Large aperture=shallow DoF
F32 Small aperture=maximum Dof, basic stuff, read your manuals or get a good book like Micheal Langfords, "Basic photography" or "Advanced photography",it'll prevent you making simple mistakes when taking a shot if you understand the basics, I know that in this digital era everyone and his/her dad thinks they're photographers but there's more to it than firing the shutter.

As to this being meant to be an "advertising" photo (even if only for fun), a) yes, that logo would have needed to be in focus, lighting - I think - would have needed to be a little farther away and softer since the out-of-focus logo is really hard on the eyes (on my eyes, but it does little these days to be hard of them, I do need new glasses!), plus - and in this I also agree with what someone has said before me, the opened up fruit should have remained in the photo ... and if only for as long as it would have taken you to take it, which is a matter of a fraction of seconds... AFTER that you could have eaten it with relish (and I hope you did before you took this photo, just because mandarines are yummy! :D).

What I mean to say is: in a photo that is designed to advertise a product, said product should be THERE and not already eaten, with only the wastes still to be seen. Hm?

As it seems, you really like these kinds of photographic experiments, and I guess you can always set up your lighting and some fruit and try new shots. Show them here ... maybe in the General Gallery much rather than Photo Critique, since replies in Photo Critique MAY be harsh on the photo, and SHOULD be a bit more thought-over and extensive than the hint of keeping one's day job ... :)wink: to Torus).

And hey, have I said Welcome to ThePhotoForum to you already? No?
Well: welcome to ThePhotoForum !!! :D

ah thanks :D
when i took the photo and looked at it on my camera the most focused and prominent thing was the logo, but when i put it on to pc that was not tha case as you can see above, but no harm anyways, im not life dependent on photography so error is not detromental to me (now ;) )
ill try again when im graced with inspiration!

and thanks for the kind welcome, and yes the mandarin was lovely!

One of the most published early series of photos was edward weston's pepper series. Everyone thought he chose them because they were sensual and erotic.

He chose them because he wanted to eat them after the shoot. From his day books so im not making it up.

They made him famous so keep shooting, but he also was a member of the a club of famous photographers known for their very sharp images. To do this they used very small aperture openings and huge depth of field. sometimes going so far as to add cardboard with even smaller aperture holes to the lenses.

I have never quite saw the beauty in short depth for table top pictures. I know that others do I just never did. On a portrait yes on a product unless it is glitz you seek I don't get it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back