Critique my shots

vanthi

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello, I bought my first DSLR camera two weeks ago (end of January). I've been shooting for about two weeks and am just learning about everything from operating my camera to processing images.

I used a Canon 7D with the Canon 50 mm 1.4 lens. I used Capture one to process my pictures.

I've done a lot of close up face shots, and some basketball shots.

Also, can you tell me if the photos are too dark/light. Because they look fine on my laptop screen, but at work they are really dark! A buddy of mine just told me about monitor calibration recently.

Picasa Web Albums - vanthi.com

025_2.jpg

023.jpg

005_1.jpg

018.jpg

025.jpg

calvin.jpg

036_1.jpg

058.jpg

Last edited:
there, i put the images in the post

I really like #4, #5, and #6. I wouldn't call any of them bad though, especially being some of your first shots! Keep it up! Most importantly, HAVE FUN!

Your images have a dark edgy look that I happen to like in general, but it's a matter of taste. As for making adjustments in post using a monitor that isn't calibrated, it's like sending your images to Stevie Wonder to process. You can't make an adjustment to an image until you see exactly what you have recorded. Find your style and then exploit it remembering not everyone is going to like the style you choose.

the Iconic Image

I like your images, you have a good eye.

I love the crouching basketball player with the headless guys in the back, that made me laugh. The one image that I want to comment on is number 2, you lost the subject's eye in darkness, and in this case I find it takes away from the picture's potential effect. Pull back on the contrast, you might get some detail back in.

All pictures look like crap on a monitor. Think about it - back-lit, 72 dpi, no useful color space... the only way to tell is by printing. Even a calibrated monitor can get you so far.

Stick around, and keep posting.

I also like the darker tones at times, gives that edgy feel and a sorta attitude about the shots. I have a thing for close ups of peoples faces without pp, it shows more character and tells more of a story... other than look at me I want to be a model.

Most reactions

Back