critique my zoo pics please!

A piece of advice: choose 3 photos you really care about and link them to this thread. THAT might give you a response. Who, do you think, has got the time to go to a Flickr Photostream and look at ALL your photos from the zoo? Sorry, I'm not going that path....

Stoopidhead,
My first suggestion is to provide complete EXIF with your shots in order to make it easier to comment on them. Also let us know which camera body and lens you are using, so that for example we may suggest you try and not shoot above a certain ISO, or make sure to stop the lens down to a specific aperture. Nonetheless, here's my $0.02 on your animal shots.

1) Frog - IQ and focus looks pretty good, however there appears to be quite a bit of noise probably due to shooting at high ISO. The composition is also not as good as it can be since the frog is facing away from you and there's a leaf in the middle of the scene.
2) Tiger - great composition, excellent colors, well exposed, sharpness appears to be very good also. This is one of your nicest shots.
3) Spider Monkey - pretty good composition even though the animal is turning away from you, colors and exposure looks good, image could be sharper. Like a few of your other shots it appears to be pretty noisy, again probably due to high ISO.
4) Sparrow - pretty good composition, but it would have been better if the bird's eye was more fully visible. Good feather detail, and good sharpness. Again, very noisy shot probably due to high ISO.
5) Male Mandrill - excellent composition, colors, and exposure. However, not as sharp as it should be and again the noise problem.
6) Female Mandrill - nice composition, excellent color, and very sharp image. The only problem are the two blown out background areas, with some Photoshop work these could have been fixed. But all in all this is a very nice shot.
7) Parrot - pretty good composition, good colors, and well exposed. One thing that would've improved it was if the tree trunk was not as prominent in the foreground, but you can't control everything when shooting animals.
8) Roadrunner - excellent shot, beautiful composition, exposure, and color. This is my favorite shot in the set, vey nice indeed.
9) Lioness - great composition, and colors. Good exposure in difficult lighting condition. However, it's not sharp and this time it appears to be due to camera shake.
10) Giraffe - excellent composition, colors and exposure looks good, sharpeness appears to be OK. Like a few of your other shots it appears to be pretty noisy, again probably due to high ISO.
11) BW Zebras - wonderful composition of the calf with its mother, I would've loved to have seen this in color, but this is probably because I'm not a big fan of BW shots.
12) Tortoise - excellent shot, great composition, good exposure, and color. A very fine photo.
13) Baboon - good composition, but the very tough lighting conditions seem to have resulted in a lack of sharpness and detail. Like a few of your other shots it appears to be pretty noisy, again probably due to high ISO.
14) Fenec Fox - wonderful composition, and nice colors. But very tough lighting conditions (half shade, half full sun) detract a bit from the final image.
15) Komodo Dragon - excellent composition, nice colors, and well exposed given the harsh lighting conditions. Good capture of the dragon with his forked tongue sticking out.

I think you have a very good eye for composition, you need to try and reduce the noise in your shots, and keep improving the sharpness (this is a never ending effort for all of us). Try and position yourself and wait until the animal is in the best lighting condition before taking the shot.

I hope some of my comments may be of help. I think you're doing very well and you just need to continue shooting and you will be amazed as to how quickly you can improve the quality of your images.

gatorbill
Zenfolio | Bill Fleites Photography

Like many (most?) people on here, I do not click links from people with so few posts.

I recommend choosing 3-5 and post them (not link them). You will have much more luck doing so.

Most reactions

Back