Critique on Pacific Sunset

Pepsidude

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi guys,
I'm new to the whole photography thing but I recently got the new Sony H9 (not an SLR :confused:) and took a trip to Costa Rica. The humidity and rain made my lens blurry most of the time but here is one of my better pics.

sunset.jpg

Comments? Suggestions?
And I know there's a 1-picture limit but would it be okay if I made another thread with one more picture I want advice on?

Nice photo, but there are a few problems.

1. Horizon is not straight.

2. Seems to be a little oof, possibly due to the moisture on your lens.

3. Although the photo is very colorful, the colors do not seem to be vibrant, might just be me.

Hope you don't mind, but since you have "image editing ok", I gave it a shot...

I straightened the horizon, adjusted the levels and contrast, reduced some of the noise and sharpened.

sunset.jpg

Wow, thanks. :thumbup:
The end result looks great. Still have to invest in photoshop, been using Paint.Net and just tweaking some of my photos with a tad of sharpening.

Thanks again. The top of the sky does look a lot less dull. :D

Sweet. I actually like the orginal better, but if you dodge the water, I think you will find some great colors and reflections.
Super well done.

There is a lot of dead black space on the left hand side in the water that needs to be either cropped or selectively lightened if possible in Photoshop to bring up more detail.

skieur

Colors on the original are better, the edited version looks fake. Putting the original through PS to tweak the contrast and sharpen it a bit is all this needs.

I prefer the original better as well, but I do really like the purple tint to the clouds in the second version.

The thing going on in the foreground with the water and the rock is interesting. However, the composition overall lacks balance. Maybe some kind of zig-zag or "S" to pull the viewer into the shot.

Also, if you got another, go ahead and post it.

the colors of the original are great but there is nothing in the photo which grabs your attention (focal point). The only other thing i can think of is the good ole "healing tool" to get those little rocks out of the fair ground.

Most reactions

Back